Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Re: Paramount + Dolby Atmos, 5.1 Audio and Dolby Vision and HDR video

This are my findings, including audio codec where possible, using an LG C1 OLED display and Denon AVR-S930 receiver and the Paramount+ app:

Roku Streaming Stick 4K (3820X) on Roku OS v10.5.1
Halo S1E1 - 1080p SDR, AAC stereo (only other option is AAC Descriptive Audio)
Star Trek: Picard S2E1 - 1080p SDR, 1080p SDR, DD+ 5.1 (other options include AAC stereo, DD 5.1, and AAC Descriptive Audio)
A Quiet Place Part II - 1080p SDR, AAC stereo (other options include DD 5.1, DD+5.1 - no Atmos, and AAC Descriptive Audio)

Amazon FireStick 4K on Fire OS v6.2.8.7
Halo S1E1 - 4K Dolby Vision, DD+ 5.1 - no Atmos (other options include Stereo and Descriptive Audio)
Star Trek: Picard S2E1 - 1080p Dolby Vision, DD+ 5.1 (other options include Stereo and Descriptive Audio)
A Quiet Place Part II - 4K Dolby Vision, DD+ 5.1 (other options include Stereo and Descriptive Audio)

Apple TV 4K (A1842) on tvOS 15.4
Halo S1E1 - 4K Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos (other option is Descriptive Audio)
Star Trek: Picard S2E1 - 1080p Dolby Vision, 5.1 audio (other option is Descriptive Audio)
A Quiet Place Part II - 4K Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos (other option is Descriptive Audio)

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

@blade_005 

Which FireTV device do you have? My Firestick 4K only gives me DD+ 5.1, stereo, or stereo descriptive audio.

0 Kudos
blade_005
Roku Guru

FTV4K Max. Included that information in my signature.

Audio Track Order on FTV4K Max for HALO on Paramount+:

• English - 5.1
  • English - Dolby Atmos
  • English - Stereo
  • English - AD - Stereo

Defaults to TRACK 1, which is 5.1 audio and you have to select TRACK 2 to get Dolby ATMOS.

Swapped out from FTV4K (2018) models a few months back. Pretty sure that Dolby ATMOS was available on the 2018 device as well, but back then it was with P+ movies and GUILTY PARTY P+ Original. Maybe it is something lacking with the recent HALO release only on the FTV4K (2018) model device. It could also be how your AVR is handling/supporting the ATMOS tracks from Paramount+. I can get ATMOS even without 4K on my 1080p projector on Paramount+ through an ATMOS soundbar.

BenQ HT2060 4LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | FTV4K MAX
0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

I had the FireStick 4K Max, and had to return it due to its motion smoothing that I was unable to turn off.

What is really weird, is that on my Rokus, the movie "Rumble" does play in Dolby Atmos, but nothing else on the service does.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

The P+ app (recent versions, including 8.1.13-210811300) on the FS4K (firmware 6287/3768) does NOT have Atmos availability for known Atmos-enabled content, at least in my testing (several TVs/AVRs), despite Atmos tagging.

Ironically, firmware 6287/3768 includes changes/enhancements to better enumerate Dolby Vision/Atmos support, including the new AV diagnostics menu option (which tests DV/DA support, among other useful functionality).

Even more ironic, the P+ app (same versions) on the O4KSB supports Dolby Atmos, even though the O4KSB doesnt have DD+/Atmos OS-level/EDID detection support, and only a DD+-level (non-Atmos) Dolby decoder.

The P+ app/AV content quality management is a moving mess, and always has been, and these coming/going again AV content quality issue relative to firmware/app updates impact every platform, and P+ clearly doesnt seem capable to the task (constant regressions of all kinds).

blade_005
Roku Guru

Same P+ version (8.1.13) on a FTV4K Max (Fire OS 7) is supporting ATMOS on available P+ content. Not sure what has changed in the FTV4K (2018; Fire OS 6) version recently. I moved to the FTV4K Max (Fire OS 7) because it became apparent that Fire OS 6 was never going to support ATMOS on Neftlix with they way that Netflix chooses to implement it.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

The FS4k Max uses a different Dolby chipset than the previous FireStick 4K model.

0 Kudos
blade_005
Roku Guru

Yes. Aware of that. It is why I traded in all of my FTV4K (2018) devices. FTV4K Max and Fire OS 7 has the ability to decode a Dolby ATMOS track, which is what Netflix requires. FTV4K (2018) and Fire OS 6 allows passthrough for the AVR or Soundbar to decode. Not sure why Netflix doesn't allow that as an option.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

@RokuMary-F 

My Roku devices upgraded today to v11. As expected, the update DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE.

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

What devices do you have?  I'm waiting for my 4800 to grab the os 11 update.

0 Kudos