Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iFrog
Roku Guru

Re: Paramount + Dolby Atmos, 5.1 Audio and Dolby Vision and HDR video

Yes, currently I watch Paramount+ HDR content on my Apple TV.  I think for the most part, the Paramount+ channel, not providing HDR is my only current issue with my Roku 4800 in the same setup as my 2nd Gen Apple TV 4K.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

I’m beginning to wonder if something is going on between Roku and Paramount+.

We lost 4K HDR in December, and now the channel’s highly promoted new series “Halo” debuts on their Roku app in HD and stereo, while FireStick and Apple TV get 4K HDR and Dolby 5.1 (and apparently Dolby Atmos audio on Apple TV).

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Possible,  I am late to Paramount+ and the Roku issues though because It was going on before I signed up for the service.  So, I was aware of the problems before I signed up for it, so since I also have Apple TVs, using the service on them while Roku and paramount sort things out didn't seem like any big deal to me.  Now I understand the Roku is the only device people might have outside their TV built in apps, so for those people it would be a much bigger deal.  I pretty much signed up for Paramount+ to watch Picard, and that's the only HDR content I've encountered other than discovery as far as series go.  Personally, I like Picard better than discovery.  Outside the original series with Kirk, Sock, etc, TNG was always my favorite.  I like DS9, and Voyager though, as well.  I'm going to say something here though, from my own observations: I personally find the overall quality of Paramount+ lower than the other services I currently subscribe to.   Quality as in streaming quality, it doesn't matter if HDR is working or not to notice that.

0 Kudos
artseattle
Binge Watcher

I know I've posted this before, but here's today scorecard accessing "Halo" as the source material.  It's the same as a few months ago. 

System:  Roku Ultra, LG OLED, Denon Receiver

LG built-in app:  Paramount +:  HD, Dolby Surround

Amazon Prime with Paramount +:  HD, Dolby Digital Surround

Roku:  Paramount +:  HD, Dolby Surround

Amazon Prime with Paramount +:  HD, Dolby Digital Surround

iPhone 13, Paramount + app, played on LG through Airplay:  Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos

I can tell a HUGE improvement with DV and DA.

Art

0 Kudos
grafixguy
Streaming Star

I'm still using AirPlay from my iPad to the Roku Ultra. Atmos is hit or miss (seems to work on movies) but I have yet to see it on any of the Star Trek series. Dolby Vision is terrific on the Star Trek series and it does give me Dolby Digital Plus.

The sound and picture are excellent, but back to the original post...it shouldn't be necessary for workarounds at this point.

Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

The only TV series in Atmos is Halo.

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

I fired up Paramount+ on the latest Gen Apple TV 4K this afternoon to look at Halo, and got Atmos, and HDR10, since I don't have a Dolby Vision display other than my phone.  Is this supposed to be based on the game?  That's the only thing I'm aware of with the name Halo, but I've never played the game, so that's  why I was curious.

0 Kudos
blade_005
Roku Guru

GUILTY PARTY is a Paramount+ Original with Dolby ATMOS audio.

BenQ HT2060 4LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | FTV4K MAX
0 Kudos
blade_005
Roku Guru

That is a recent change if Paramount+ via Prime Video Channel subscription is supporting 4K and HDR through a Roku or Fire TV device. Apple TV users have reported success with it from that no longer offered subscription of CBS All Access (Paramount+) / Showtime bundle pricing.

The only way to access 4K HDR and ATMOS content from Roku and Fire TV has been through the standalone Paramount+ app. The positive is that a sub through Prime Video Channel can be linked to the standalone Paramount+ app.

0 Kudos
blade_005
Roku Guru

Dolby ATMOS is available for HALO on Fire TV devices as well. The issue is that the default (Track 1) audio is 5.1, but you can manually change to Track 2, which is a Dolby ATMOS track.

0 Kudos