Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iFrog
Roku Guru

Re: Paramount + Dolby Atmos, 5.1 Audio and Dolby Vision and HDR video

Yes: I agree with you, and I have a multi streaming solution in place, Apple TV, and Roku, I find those two work well together as what usually breaks on one still works on the other.  I also still maintain a physical media collection, because there is always the possibility of the internet going down, so I can still watch my  content, or even a local streaming solution such as Plex as it just needs the LAN to operate.

I've noticed what you've brought up as well, about the last couple of years.  I started with Roku back in 2013, (Roku 3) and I really enjoyed the platform, and overall still do, but as already discussed the recent various issues have made it more frustrating to use.  Also, I wanted to bring up another topic, most here probably wouldn't consider, and that's lossless audio.  Roku doesn't support it, nor do most other streaming platforms, so that's another reason I keep physical media around.  Plus depending on the streaming service, streamed video (especially 4k / HDR) looks considerably more compressed than a physical copy.  So it goes back to what your points were above, people just want to watch their content, and unless educated really don't consider these things.

Apple TV is a good box for lossless Apple Music, and even Atmos encoded music.  Roku, however, still doesn't support lossless music, or spatial audio music (of any kind.). The other reason I chose the Apple TV as  my alternative platform is, I'm primarily an Apple user, when it comes to computer, phone, and tablet, so it just made sense to have their TV platform as well.  By the way, I also have a ChromeCast ultra, never tried the new one with Google TV, I've heard it's a good low cost device though.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@iFrog 

Just a quick point:  Roku does support spatial audio, just not in a format/higher bitrates/lossless that many want/services are offering (e.g. it supports Dolby Atmos, but only in the DD+/Atmos container), at least for their player products.

Roku needs a significant re-work of their OS-level audio infrastructure/APIs if they want the "HiRes w/spatial audio" services at those service levels on their platform - I thought this might be part of an OS 11 upgrade (and that OS 10.6 would be announced instead this spring), but I was unfortunately wrong.  Roku needs a major platform OS development refocusing if they want to stay abreast of other competitor platforms in terms of audio (Android TV especially), and I see no signs of it (apparently they dont want to compete in the HiRes/HBR/Lossless/Spatial audio/services space, at least in the near future).

0 Kudos
Bfagan94
Binge Watcher

As someone who has used both Android TV and the new Google TV before switching over to Roku, I found Roku to have way less of these software issues then the Android platform does. I always find Google products to be incredibly glitchy and frustrating. I do not recommend.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

@UserOfStreamers wrote:

@iFrog 

Just a quick point:  Roku does support spatial audio, just not in a format/higher bitrates/lossless that many want/services are offering (e.g. it supports Dolby Atmos, but only in the DD+/Atmos container), at least for their player products.

Roku needs a significant re-work of their OS-level audio infrastructure/APIs if they want the "HiRes w/spatial audio" services at those service levels on their platform - I thought this might be part of an OS 11 upgrade (and that OS 10.6 would be announced instead this spring), but I was unfortunately wrong.  Roku needs a major platform OS development refocusing if they want to stay abreast of other competitor platforms in terms of audio (Android TV especially), and I see no signs of it (apparently they dont want to compete in the HiRes/HBR/Lossless/Spatial audio/services space, at least in the near future).

As far as I know, there are no video services that stream audio in a lossless format, not even Apple TV+ on Apple TV 4K devices. Nearly everyone uses Dolby Digital+ to deliver Dolby Atmos, even Apple.

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

@Toddwrtr wrote:

@UserOfStreamers wrote:

@iFrog 

As far as I know, there are no video services that stream audio in a lossless format, not even Apple TV+ on Apple TV 4K devices. Nearly everyone uses Dolby Digital+ to deliver Dolby Atmos, even Apple.

I know, that was my point, to have lossless audio for movies and TV still requires physical media.  For music though, Apple Music does lossless.  As far as your comment about spatial audio and Roku, I was already aware that Roku supports Atmos over DD+.  I was referring to music services that support Atmos, Roku doesn't support those.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

@iFrog wrote:

I was referring to music services that support Atmos, Roku doesn't support those.

Neither does Amazon on their Fire TV devices - and they even have their own music streaming service!!

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

@Toddwrtr wrote:

@iFrog wrote:

I was referring to music services that support Atmos, Roku doesn't support those.

Neither does Amazon on their Fire TV devices - and they even have their own music streaming service!!

I didn't even think about Amazon because they do have a lossless music tier.  I know the Echo devices support it, just assumed the fire TVs did as well.

0 Kudos
randys
Roku Guru

Does Paramount plus if you subscribe to it through the Amazon prime app do the 4K HDR?

Regardless of whether you’re using Roku or fire stick or your TV apps to access Prime?

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

I don't subscribe through Amazon, however there is someone on the Roku thread on AVSForums that does, and he has said HDR / DV works through the prime channel for Paramount Plus.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

It works thru the Apple TV app on Roku, too. More evidence that this is a Paramount+ issue that they keep blaming Roku for.

0 Kudos