Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Re: Paramount + Dolby Atmos, 5.1 Audio and Dolby Vision and HDR video

Paramount+ is now saying that any Roku running OS v10.5 is no longer compatible for 4K HDR content on their service.

So, I guess the ball is back in Roku's court?

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

A supervisor at Paramount+ customer service called me this morning (at 7am!) to once again apologize for the 4K HDR issue, but re-iterated that, according to the notes his tech team provided to him, Paramount+ is still waiting for Roku to release an update to their OS to fix the issue.

I reminded him that:

1. Per Roku, Paramount+ is responsible for maintaining their own "channel" or app on the Roku platform.
  2. I do not have this issue on any of the other streaming services that offer 4K HDR on my Roku devices, such as Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, Vudu, Apple TV+, Movies Anywhere, and Prime Video. So either those services had a fix in place prior to the Roku update being installed on my devices, or the new update is not at fault.
  3. Back in November, when I signed up for HBO Max and installed it on my Amazon Firestick, I encountered this same issue right after Amazon pushed a new firmware update. While HBO Max admitted that it was likely that Amazon's update did something to cause the issue, HBO Max had a fix in place within days after I contacted them. So, why are the developers at Paramount+ whining about wanting Roku to fix an issue that is Paramount's responsibility?

He told me that he would relay the issue back to the tech team, the same group of people that thought downgrading the display settings on my Roku to 720p would suddenly give me 4K HDR.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts regarding Paramount+ and HDR playback on the channel.

We believe we have found a resolution for this issue and expect this issue to be resolved in a future update. 

In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
grafixguy
Streaming Star

Good to hear...well it will be really good to hear in Dolby Atmos! 🙂

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

As asked in the other thread on the same topic - who is issuing the update and when? We are approaching FOUR MONTHS of having to deal with this issue.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Complete boneheads:

Dear Todd,

Thank you for reaching out and escalating this case further. We are sorry you are still experiencing this issue, and for any delays in our response. We have found that the following steps has helped many customers resolve this issue on their Roku. Can you please try the following and let us know if this works.

1. Please ensure the Paramount+ app is up to date.

2. Ensure you are using the 2.4GHz network as most Roku devices run better on this network.

3. When viewing, click the (*) option button on the Remote and ensure Volume mode is turned off.

4. Also, ensure the bandwidth saver is off by going to settings>>network>>bandwidth saver>>off

5. If these steps do not work, try changing your resolution settings on the Roku to 720p versus 1080p (For built in Roku TVs, this option is not available but you can try the following: While viewing live TV or any video on demand item, select the (*) asterisk on remote control, then click the on Picture settings (may also be called advanced picture settings, select Picture Mode, change from Low Power to Vivid or Movie (To see if the picture quality and lagging improves); you can even change the sound modes to find the best working mode possible)

6. Finally, if none of these steps resolve the issue, you could be experiencing this due to insufficient memory on the device as many Rokus offer limited storage and no way to tell if storage is getting full. The only way to resolve this would be to perform a factory reset on the device. If steps 1-4 do not resolve this issue, please try resetting the Roku back to factory settings to resolve this issue.

We await your response.

Regards,

Tony S
Paramount+ Customer Support Tier 2 Agent

0 Kudos
Uniform5
Channel Surfer

wow.  they want you to change the resolution to 720?  They (P+) don't seem to understand what the issue is, so how are they going to resolve it?

Anyway, hope the update from Roku comes soon.

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

I've considered closing my Paramount+ account after I've watched all three seasons of Picard (once they have all been released.). I mainly signed up for the Star Trek series.  So after I'm done watching them, will probably wait for physical copies of the series to be released and go that route.  I've always preferred discs to streaming, but streaming has it's benefits as well.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

That is the fifth time I have received that exact same e-mail in less than a month. Tier 2 Support at P+ are clueless wonders.

0 Kudos
blade_005
Roku Guru

Here's hoping that Roku OS 11 addresses the 4K HDR support issue with Paramount+. 

Roku OS 11 Release Announcement 

Roku® OS Software Release Notes 

BenQ HT2060 4LED Projector | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | FTV4K MAX
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | FTV4K MAX
0 Kudos