Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
inmanlanier
Level 7

Pandora issues

I have a ROKU express and a Roku Ultra.  As you may or may not know, the express is wireless (strong signal where it's located) and the Ultra is wired.  I have many other devices that can play Pandora.  I appear to only have issues on the ROKU devices.  I am a non paid Pandora customer.  The ROKU express was used the first time in October, the Ultra in December.

Typical issues - my standard method of playback is to select one of the several artists or themes I've saved, start the play and let it go.  Pandora on all my other devices works fine (Panasonic Smart TV, Toshiba and Sony smart DVDs, Xbox). Each of these devices is not directly fed by my router - some devices are hard wired to a switch that is directly connected to the router, others to a Wireless Access point connected to the same switch. In each of my ROKU devices (one wired, one wifi), I will get a few songs played, then the last song either repeats indefinitely or stops after some time until I get errors. I have to exit the app to restart.  In one case I had to power down the ROKU express for it to start Pandora again.  Note the ROKU devices are on the same networks as the Xbox, DVD players, etc.  

As I understand, the software on the devices is written by the manufacturer, and Pandora is only responsible for streaming the content.  If this is true (and seems to be supported by all my other devices working fine), then the ROKU app firmware/softwware is the problem.

Have others experienced this?  Did you have a fix?  Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
inmanlanier
Level 7

Re: Pandora issues

I forgot to mention, I tried Prime Music and have similar issues as well!!!  Frustrating, so I'm now reverting back to the Xbox in one of the rooms.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"inmanlanier" wrote:

As I understand, the software on the devices is written by the manufacturer, and Pandora is only responsible for streaming the content.  If this is true (and seems to be supported by all my other devices working fine), then the ROKU app firmware/software is the problem.

This is incorrect. With a very few exceptions, Roku does not create or support the channels/apps. Pandora is responsible for their Roku app, either directly or allowing a 3rd party to create it. The fact it works on other devices has no bearing on the Roku version, as it is written in a completely different programming language that is specific to Roku. You will have to talk with Pandora about your problem. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
inmanlanier
Level 7

Are you sure of this?  If so, why would coincidentally the ROKU platform have problems when all my other hardware works without issue?
0 Kudos
inmanlanier
Level 7

So...  I started Pandora on the ROKU Express.  It made it 10 songs, then repeated the 10th song 5 times.  When I try and manually go forward for a new one, I get a black screen with "UNEXPECTED ERROR.  An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again."   At this point Pandora is locked up.
0 Kudos
inmanlanier
Level 7

Well, well.  Free is not really free.  What a surprise.  Apparently they introduced a 40 hour per MONTH limit back in 2013. http://blog.pandora.com/the-pandora-sto ... t-page-40/  

We'll see if that's the cuplrit.  I'll try a new account to see what happens.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"inmanlanier" wrote:
Are you sure of this?  If so, why would coincidentally the ROKU platform have problems when all my other hardware works without issue?

Am I sure that Roku doesn't create or support the majority of channels? Yes, I am. They created and support the Roku Channel and the Roku Media Player. Beyond that, I am not aware of any channels created or supported by Roku. A possible explanation as to why the Roku platform has issues when others don't, is that Roku uses a non-standard (linux based, but highly modified) operating system, so any channel created for it is coded differently than apps for any other OS. So something that works fine on the Apple iOS, or Android device, has no bearing on how it functions on a Roku. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
Beyond that, I am not aware of any channels created or supported by Roku.

Well you're wrong there.  I know that for a fact.  For one thing, there are a multitude of "Direct Publisher" channels that require no coding whatsoever; all the code is written by Roku.  There are/were other channels written (or contracted) by Roku.  Not to mention the libraries (like the Roku Ad Framework) written by Roku that developers are required to use.

I think there's no statement that makes me more angry than, "Roku doesn't write the channels, so don't blame them".  It's often used by people that have no idea how Roku development works and no idea who really wrote the code for a channel.

"atc98092" wrote:
So something that works fine on the Apple iOS, or Android device, has no bearing on how it functions on a Roku.

This is true.  The Roku code is probably significantly different from the others, but then the Apple code and the Android code probably don't have a lot in common either, but there are tools to convert between the two.  I know of no tool to convert one of those to Roku.

-JT
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I don't disagree that many channel developers use frameworks created by Roku. And my statement doesn't really cover that, so I concede. But as far as supporting the channels, I stand by that Roku themselves don't do the complete coding and development. And that's the excuse they will use to say they don't support the channel.  Smiley Very Happy
I've written a lot of code, but never for a Roku. So if I ever came across as someone that knows the inner workings of Roku channel development, I apologize. Perhaps I've just been perpetuating something that Roku wants the users to think. 
On topic about Pandora, I noticed when using CarPlay yesterday, while Pandora streamed the music just fine it kept changing the display back to the station list, rather than staying on the Now Playing screen. So perhaps Pandora itself is having an issue. 
Dan
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"renojim" wrote:
I think there's no statement that makes me more angry than, "Roku doesn't write the channels, so don't blame them".  It's often used by people that have no idea how Roku development works and no idea who really wrote the code for a channel. ...

I have offered that statement, but only after looking up the app in the Channel Store and seeing a developer other than Roku. In those cases, I would expect the statement to be true and accurate. For those where it says the developer is Roku -- and some do indeed say that -- or where there is no developer listed, I would say that the statement should not be used.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos