Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Paid monthly Cinemax subscription with my cable provider, but no access to Cinemax on Roku. Why?

Jump to solution

I pay my cable provider for a monthly subscription for Cinemax, but, for some reason, this does not entitle me to access Cinemax on Roku, unless I pay an additional subscription fee. Why???

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Paid monthly Cinemax subscription with my cable provider, but no access to Cinemax on Roku. Why?

Jump to solution

@Mriguy 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried authenticating the Cinemax channel with your cable provider subscription? 

For more information about that channel's authentication and functionality, you'll want to contact Cinemax support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Paid monthly Cinemax subscription with my cable provider, but no access to Cinemax on Roku. Why?

Jump to solution

@Mriguy 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried authenticating the Cinemax channel with your cable provider subscription? 

For more information about that channel's authentication and functionality, you'll want to contact Cinemax support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply, however, unlike HBO or Starz, I am not able to pull up a Cinemax channel on my Roku, which makes it impossible for me to verify my existing paid subscription in the way that I normally do for other channels on Roku. When I search the streaming channels for "Cinemax" specifically, it says there are "no results". This leaves accessing Cinemax through the Roku Channel. However, when I click on Cinemax within the page for the Roku Channel, I am only allowed to choose a free 7-day trial, or to pay for a subscription. Again, there is no option given on the Roku platform, even on the Roku Channel, to verify my existing subscription so that I don't have to pay twice. I should not have to jump through all these extra hoops to have access. Please fix this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

No, there is no option given to verify that I already have a paid subscription through a cable provider. The only options given are a free 7-day trial, or to pay for a subscription, which, again, I should not have to do since I already pay for a monthly subscription. The other cable channels allow me to verify through my provider, after which I am given access. This is how it should be with Cinemax, but currently, it is not. Please help to fix this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Mriguy 

Thanks for the inquiry.

I was unable to find a Cinemax channel on the Roku Channel Store online. We would recommend reaching out to the channel provider to inquire if they have a channel available that supports Roku devices. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Cinemax support here: https://www.cinemax.com/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply. I may not have properly worded my frustration and my issue. I have a paid subscription to Cinemax through my local cable provider. With all of the other channels in my paid cable subscription (FX, Discovery, NatGeo, TNT, ABC, Travel Channel, etc.), I am able to watch their programming on my Roku through each of their Roku channels, without having to pay more to access them on my Roku. If I perform a search for a movie, for instance, and the search shows that I can watch that movie for free if I have a subscription to TNT, then, since I already pay for TNT, I am then able to watch that movie on that Roku channel without having to pay again. However, when I search for a movie, and the search shows that it is "free" to stream from Cinemax if I have a subscription, and I do have a paid subscription through my cable provider, but I still cannot watch that movie on my Roku unless I pay again for a Cinemax subscription through the Roku Channel, or get a 7-day free trial through the Roku Channel, after which my only option is to get a paid subscription for Cinemax through the Roku Channel, this scenario is both frustrating and wrong, and I have never had to do this with any other channel that I already pay/subscribe to through my local cable provider. Cinemax should be accessible for anyone that already pays for a cable subscription, in the same way that HBO, Starz, Showtime, and every other channel (except Cinemax) already does on the Roku platform. This is completely frustrating, and I would like for this complaint to be shared with them as a Roku owner. Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos