Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sleet01
Level 7

PSA: if Disney+ displays "not available in your region", the real problem is Disney blocked your IP

Recently encountered this issue and would like Roku to issue a fix ASAP.

Apparently Disney+, the service, will aggressively block one's IP address for any number of supposed "reasons" and with zero warning.  Since most people have one IP address for their household, with all devices sharing that address via NAT, this effectively shuts down all devices trying to play Disney+ content on that home's network, either by app or over the web.

When this happens, disneyplus.com returns an error 83 but the Roku app misinterprets this as an out-of-region error (error 73) and displays an error message to that effect.  This is extremely confusing and unhelpful.

The easiest ways to check if your IP address is blocked:

1) navigate to disneyplus.com using a laptop or pc.  Attempt to login (you will probably get a blank screen). Open the developer's console of your browser and read the error messages.

2) use a mobile device (tablet, smartphone) with the Disney+ app.  It won't work while on your home wifi, but will play just fine on 4G or a local coffee shop / library / whatever wifi network.

It took a couple hours to track down the root cause of this error, and the incorrect Roku error message was a huge problem because it led me down the wrong path at first.

The easiest fix, by the way, is to try powering your cable modem and/or router - whatever connects your house to the Internet - off and back on as this can often renew your lease with a new IP address.  Otherwise, try contacting your ISP - neither Disney not Roku seem able or willing to fix this issue.

3 Replies
TheMaven
Level 7

Re: PSA: if Disney+ displays "not available in your region", the real problem is Disney bl

I had this issue tonight. I decided to go to help.disneyplus.com and use their chat feature. After about eight minute wait time and five minutes of chatting they reset my account and now I have access again. It seems like they have to add you to a waitlist to allow your IP address or remove you from the naughty list. There is zero reason why all my IP should’ve been banned. I’ve had it for weeks or months and Disney+ was working fine last week

WDWTim
Level 7

Re: PSA: if Disney+ displays "not available in your region", the real problem is Disney bl

I have had to deal with Disney Plus 4 times this last week over having my IP being blocked. They are very helpful and it works for a time then bam, back to being blocked. This last time I got the issue raised to the next level. They said I would be protected from being blocked for a year. Guess what? 3 days later and I'm blocked again.

Mike182
Level 7

I finally figured this problem out.  After spending over an hour with Disney, we figured out they weren’t the problem.  A few hours later I figured out a solution.
 I deleted the Disney plus channel, and restarted the Roku.  The fix was, when I reinstalled Disney plus, the roku device gave me an option to subscribe through Roku, with my email.  I entered a different email, than my current Disney account, and re-subscribed to Disney plus, with my payment going through Roku.  Problem solved.  What a pain.  Hopefully this saves people my headache.

0 Kudos