Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skolvikings
Level 7

PS Vue App

Why is the PS Vue app on the Roku such crap still compared to the one on the Fire TV? The Fire TV app is almost on par with the PS4 app. The Roku app looks like it's 10 years old.
0 Kudos
13 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: PS Vue App

Roku doesn't develop the apps, so you'd have to has the PS Vue people why.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Darnell
Level 7

I suspect it's easier to find developers who are familiar with and desiring to code for an Android fork, than Roku's OS.  Android skills port to far more devices, phones, tablets and Android TV devices too.  So it's a hot skill set to have.  I say this as one who works in the IT field and has over 20 years experience and worked in all phases of the software life cycle.  Plenty people either want or have some skills with Android, not so much demand for Roku devs.

Roku offers a template that many Roku apps are built off.  That's why so many of them look the same.

And Roku does partner with some companies, to make and support their channel app, but likely not the case with Vue.  So yes Sony probably does manage their Vue app for Roku.

Also, what I'm about to say won't be welcome words here.  But Fire TV's growth rate is looking better than Roku's.  Roku has the most overall, but Fire TV is the seeing faster new growth.  
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Yes, Roku does partner with a few channels, but not very many and not the major ones, I believe. It's always best to reach out to the channel providers first, and let them know of the issues. If Roku does support the channel, you can bet they have an internal contact to get it fixed.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Skolvikings
Level 7

Yes this is a criticism of Roku. I'm quite sure Sony doesn't want their Roku PS Vue app to be crap, and yet it is. From my many years with Rokus, I've realized it must not be nearly as easy making apps for them compared to other devices. I could go down a checklist of other apps that suffer from the same problems on Roku compared to their Fire TV or Apple TV counterparts.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

It's still a Sony issue, not Roku. Now perhaps the Roku OS language doesn't allow for the type of style and UI that Sony would prefer, but it is what it is. The others all have to work with the same OS, and both Netflix and Amazon have made UIs that are equal to their other platforms. Seems to me Sony isn't all that concerned about it.
Dan
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

Don't lump Netflix in with other channels. In the past they've had features available to them that aren't available to anyone else. Whether or not that's still true, only they and Roku know.

-JT
0 Kudos
Skolvikings
Level 7

Hulu is no stranger to developing a Roku app, and even they are falling behind on the platform. Just saying …

At the end of the day, if the Roku OS doesn't allow for modern UI and styling… well I've made my point and we can agree to disagree. I'm no longer a Roku fanboy because the newer hardware is unreliable and their OS isn't allowing app developers to code in 2017. Which is really a shame because I've had Roku devices since the XDS and recommended them to so many people over the years.

I was hoping I could get by with my Roku 3 on my office TV, but the functionality in the apps I use is lacking compared to the Fire TV. Sad…
0 Kudos
JMM1
Level 9

"Skolvikings" wrote:
Hulu is no stranger to developing a Roku app, and even they are falling behind on the platform. Just saying …

At the end of the day, if the Roku OS doesn't allow for modern UI and styling… well I've made my point and we can agree to disagree. I'm no longer a Roku Person of Good Streaming Taste because the newer hardware is unreliable and their OS isn't allowing app developers to code in 2017. Which is really a shame because I've had Roku devices since the XDS and recommended them to so many people over the years.

I was hoping I could get by with my Roku 3 on my office TV, but the functionality in the apps I use is lacking compared to the Fire TV. Sad…

If the last few patches are any indication the developers working for Roku are having a difficult time coding this software.
0 Kudos
JayUSA
Level 7

How can Sony and Roku let this problem persist for so long???
Sony must be losing subscibers by the hundreds, if not thousands!  
And this issue alone is an excellent reason to drop Roku in favor of FireTV!
0 Kudos