Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

PLEASE Make Discovery Plus Available!!

Jump to solution

I JUST got Roku after a move, & cannot believe the Roku platform is not going to offer me the Discovery Plus subscription option!! I guess I will have to change to a fire stick or similar and sell my almost new Premier Roku 2nd hand. 😭

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Level 13

Re: PLEASE Make Discovery Plus Available!!

Jump to solution

What are you guys talking about?

Discovery+ didn't start as a service until this morning (1/4) and the Roku channel is available:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/2b3ca5091591fa3641a431a6af1f3468/discovery-plus

No need to be so upset.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
Level 21

Jump to solution

It's not up to Roku. Discovery Go is available on Roku devices, but it requires a TV provider subscription. They (Discovery) do not offer an option for a standalone subscription. You have to ask them why. Roku has no control over how a provider makes their content available. Chances are pretty good that you'll find the same restriction on a Fire TV or other device. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, atc98092. I understand that Diacovery PLUS is a separate subscription, & that it requires a streaming platform to work. I’m new to streaming but I thought Roku WAS. A streaming platform that I could add my choice of streaming subscriptions to, as I have with Disney Plus since getting Roku. I may be clueless, but why are other streaming platforms like Firestick, philo, etc., offering the OPTION to add a subscription to Diacovery Plus? Thanks in advance. 😊

Level 21

Jump to solution

The point is, Roku does not create the channels for other providers. If Discovery wants to offer a stand alone subscription to their service, they have to write the program to do so. 

I see Discovery Plus available in the Google Play store, so that means Android based devices can use it. However, the play store also says it isn't compatible with my Nvidia Shield, so I have no idea what devices are actually supported. Best I can find out online is that it's only available on Apple TV, iOS devices, Android devices, Chromecast, or via a web browser on a computer. 

I did one more search, and found an article that was published 3 hours ago that says Discovery+ is coming to Roku and Fire TV this coming Monday. Have to see if that comes to pass. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 13

Jump to solution

Why dump a brand new Roku device just because it does not offer the app(s) you want now?  How about keeping it and adding another Streamer brand?  I am sure it will offer what you want when they're ready to offer it.  Just like Peacock TV and HBO Max.  The only thing you should not waste is the time that will pass waiting for Roku to act.  It probably will be months.

So have a second non-Roku device that offers the apps YOU want RIGHT NOW and stay in charge of your own life.  No one else will do that for you at all.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

So if I subscribe to discovery plus I won't be able to view it on my roku tv is that correct

Level 7

Jump to solution

As I recall, Roku had Disney Plus ready to go on the day it launched.

They have had plenty of time to prepare for Discovery Plus.

ONCE AGAIN, they are ignoring their customers.

Level 13

Jump to solution

What are you guys talking about?

Discovery+ didn't start as a service until this morning (1/4) and the Roku channel is available:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/2b3ca5091591fa3641a431a6af1f3468/discovery-plus

No need to be so upset.

View solution in original post

Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi There, Although it's not in the channel search on the Roku box, if you create a Roku account or have one on your computer online and search for Discovery+ channel and add from there it will add it and install on your Roku box. You can then subscribe that way. I just did it and it appeared in my channels. I hope this helps you. 

Level 21

Jump to solution

@BobW55 wrote:

As I recall, Roku had Disney Plus ready to go on the day it launched.

They have had plenty of time to prepare for Discovery Plus.

ONCE AGAIN, they are ignoring their customers.

As I just posted yesterday, Discovery Plus is available on Roku devices as of this morning. I have no idea when Discovery first rolled out their service, but it's not up to Roku to make it available. Discovery is the only entity that has control over if/when they offer their service on a specific platform in a specific geographical location. There's nothing Roku can do to make it available. You're angry at Roku over something they have zero control over. 

Dan
0 Kudos