Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: PBS Video closing constantly

I submitted a support request via the website.  Still waiting for a reply.  Everyone with the issue should also submit a support request.  I had a similar issue with CBS, PBS and CNet several months ago. It was due to the apps not being able to handle blocks of domains like

• b.scorecardresearch.com

• sb.scorecardresearch.com

• pubads.g.doubleclick.net

• pubads.l.doubleclick.net

At that time, I was able to find a solution to the issue using host overrides.  But now, the app crashes even with blocking turned off.  PBS works fine on my firestick on the same network.   I really want to like Roku.  The interface is clean and it is not biased towards a particular media streaming service.  But if this issue does not get fixed soon, I will move onto Fire TV.  Android has more flexibility with installation of third party apps. I think the PBS app developers for Roku need to review their code with the PBS app developers for Fire TV.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Even though I had white listed

b.scorecardresearch.com
b.scorecardresearch.com.edgesuite.net
pubads.g.doubleclick.net
partnerad.l.doubleclick.net

I had created a host override to try and prevent the ads and sending data to the tracking site scorecardresearch.  I had to remove the host override for PBS to work. 

On my second router, I still can't future out why the show graphics don't display consistently.  I also have this problem with one or two shows on the first router.  Something is preventing the images from loading.  Still, bad programming on the part of PBS to not handle the exception of having these sites blocked.  PBS needs to fix this. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I turned off the ad-blocker and the PBS app still kicks back to the home Roku screen. I am forced to go to the PBS website on my iPad, then mirror thru a cable (Roku won’t mirror Apple products yet) to my TV if I want to watch Victoria, PBS Newshour, We’ll Meet Again, or any number of great Pbs shows. I haven’t been able to watch anything on the Pbs app for a few months.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Xentrk" wrote:
Even though I had white listed

b.scorecardresearch.com
b.scorecardresearch.com.edgesuite.net
pubads.g.doubleclick.net
partnerad.l.doubleclick.net

I had created a host override to try and prevent the ads and sending data to the tracking site scorecardresearch.  I had to remove the host override for PBS to work. 

On my second router, I still can't future out why the show graphics don't display consistently.  I also have this problem with one or two shows on the first router.  Something is preventing the images from loading.  Still, bad programming on the part of PBS to not handle the exception of having these sites blocked.  PBS needs to fix this. 

UPDATE:  I recently purchased a Nvida Shield and Amazon Fire TV.  On both devices, I am able to block the ad domains listed in the above post without  PBS crashing.  So this issue with PBS only appears on Roku Players.  Hoping that someone at PBS/Roku see this and apply a patch to the PBS app on Roku. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Does anyone from PBS monitor this thread, I have a recurring monthly donation and I'm going to cancel it if I have to enable traffic to double click on my router.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

"dshookowsky" wrote:
Does anyone from PBS monitor this thread, I have a recurring monthly donation and I'm going to cancel it if I have to enable traffic to double click on my router.

Don't count on it. It makes much more sense to contact PBS directly, since they are responsible for their channel, and unlikely to be watching forums for the various playback devices. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I posted a reply that included giving the Roku box a special firewall rules so it could have unfiltered access to Cloudflare DNS, and resolve this issue. That seems to have been deleted. Why?

It was not a hack. It didn't alter the Roku box in anyway. Instead, it gave a preferential treatment of DNS requests from Roku. Strange if that violated the Forum Rules (which I checked and didn't see any violation).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Mine is doing this as well. Any suggestions that worked?
0 Kudos