Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: PBS Video closing constantly

Also experiencing this issue.  I'm really frustrated.   I tried uninstalling PBS/restarting/reinstalling; downgrading from Firmware 8.0, uninstalling PBS/restarting/reinstalling and several different combos of this and nothing works.  I also messed with the Display resolution changing from 1080p to 720p and back. 

Model: 4210x
SN: 5Y259HO34459
Software: 8.0.0 build 4128

PBS software: 2.7 b3
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Still no resolution to this issue? Not even a hint that someone at Roku or PBS is looking into it?

The PBS app worked just fine before it was updated to 2.7 build 3, even on Roku OS 8.0, so why hasn't the app been rolled back to the previous version until the issues can be resolved?

I submitted a bug report directly to PBS, which was never acknowledged.

Is anyone out there from Roku or PBS listening to us?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My Premiere+ just got a firmware update. However, the PBS Video channel is still crashing every time I try to load a video. I reported the issue to PBS directly, but haven't got any response. Is there any fix forthcoming in the near future or do I have look for different ways to watch PBS?

Model: 4630X
Firmware: 8.0.1 build 4018-29
Device ID: 7KA742023151
Serial No.: YR002M023151
PBS Video: 2.7 b3
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

doubleclick.net

I believe I have it figured out, at least as applies to my situation.

I have an ad blocker running on my router (Tomato firmware), which blocks many blacklisted/sketchy hosts. Among those is doubleclick.net.

Well, it turns out that as PBS recently added adverts to their Roku app, starting with the most recent 2.7 b3, one of the ad servers it's querying is doubleclick.net

Guess what happens when the router gets that request from the Roku? It blocks it, which in turn causes the PBS app to crash to the home screen.

This behavior is 100% reproducible if the Roku is blocked from access to doubleclick.net

Bottom line: No, I am not going to whitelist doubleclick.net just to get around this crap. This is fundamentally an issue with the app which needs to be addressed. The app needs to respect my choice to protect my entire network from sketchy and crappy sites like doubleclick.net, and it needs to learn how to deal with the fact that it can't reach a particular server, instead of spazzing out and crashing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am running the default firmware on my router provided by the manufacturer. And I don't have any ad blockers active. Still the PBS channel crashes instantly whenever I try watching video.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I can confirm blocking doubleclick.net was my issue. I took only that site off my opendns blacklist and video playback now works.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"r5turbo2" wrote:
I can confirm blocking doubleclick.net was my issue. I took only that site off my opendns blacklist and video playback now works.

Thanks for confirming my hunch.
I wonder if those who aren't purposely blocking doubleclick.net via a router or firewall might be having issues with their ISP blocking doubleclick.net
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

With pihole, I was able to disable the blocking for 30 seconds and use that time to start videos. This is definitely a poor design choice on PBS's end, considering I donate (am a member) in order to have access to this programming (not just viewing the free programs).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same issue with PBS crashing as the OP describes on one router. 

On another router, the graphics for the shows don't display. The text does though.  The video is able to play without crashing. 

Here is what is interesting.  I have a Amazon Fire Stick.  On the Fire Stick, the PBS channel plays without issue on the routers listed above. 

The symptoms described above occur with host based ad blocking turned off or on. 

I have a second Roku 4 that has the same issue. Here is the info for the first one:

Model: 4400X - Roku 4
SN: YY0007491984
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I am having the same problem.   At this point it sounds like a bug with PBS not handling blocked add tracking.  I'm using OpenDNS.  I'll try to reproduce the problem later today, but as another user posted, I'm not white-listing that one site for my whole network because PBS has buggy Roku software.  Videos play fine on my PC and Mobile on the same network, with the same DNS  blocking.

Roku 3 running 8.0.0 and Roku 4 running 8.0.1

0 Kudos