Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
perstam
Level 7

PBS Channel - Pause, fast-forward, and rewind

I am considering purchasing a Roku device. I know little about them. I hope you can answer the following questions.

1. My understanding is that I have to install the PBS "app" on Roku to get PBS programming. Correct?

2. Once the app is installed can I use pause, fast-forward, and rewind? Presumably, I'll have to wait until after the program airs to have this capability? How long do I have to wait to have this capability  with, for example, the Newshour?

3. Assuming that pause, fast-forward, and rewind is supported for PBS programs how long after a program such as the Newshour airs can I watch it with these capabilities?

4. How long will a given episode of the Newshour be available for watching with pause, fast-forward, and rewind?

5. If pause, fast-forward, and rewind work for PBS programs will it work for all other Roku programming services?

When I used DISH I had it hooked up to a DVD recorder and had all the above capabilities. I'd like to have the same with Roku or one of its equivalents.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Pause, fast-forward, and rewind

"perstam" wrote:
I am considering purchasing a Roku device. I know little about them. I hope you can answer the following questions.

1. My understanding is that I have to install the PBS "app" on Roku to get PBS programming. Correct?

Yes, you add it. You also have to activate it with an account at pbs.org.

2. Once the app is installed can I use pause, fast-forward, and rewind? Presumably, I'll have to wait until after the program airs to have this capability? How long do I have to wait to have this capability  with, for example, the Newshour?

Yes, immediately can access the content. Usually the day after it airs on PBS. Most shows are like this on various services on Roku.  Note: some content requires you have made a donation to PBS ($60 minimum for the year). Masterpiece theater items for example.

3. Assuming that pause, fast-forward, and rewind is supported for PBS programs how long after a program such as the Newshour airs can I watch it with these capabilities?

See answer in #2

4. How long will a given episode of the Newshour be available for watching with pause, fast-forward, and rewind?

Depends on the content. There's an expiration date on screen when you select to play the show. Some lasts a year, Newshour lasts a month. Billy Joel: The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize special aired in 2015, expires in 2019.

5. If pause, fast-forward, and rewind work for PBS programs will it work for all other Roku programming services?
When I used DISH I had it hooked up to a DVD recorder and had all the above capabilities. I'd like to have the same with Roku or one of its equivalents.

Most content is on-demand, meaning you can treat it like a recording. However, there are some Live Streaming channels, and for the most part, you cannot pause those nor ff or rr. Also, there are some channels with ads in the content. While you can fast forward and rewind the show with the ad, you can't fast forward through the ads. Basically Roku works very much like the On-Demand features of a cable service.

A notable feature with PBS app, you can add things to a watchlist. You can do this via phone and/or website, and it will show up on your Roku. This is the reason for the activation part I described in #1 answer
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
perstam
Level 7

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Cyberdave
Level 7

The PBS Roku app is horrible. It was great a few years ago before they changed it. 
In the last 6 to 9 months when watching a show I pause, FF or Rewind it does not show the status bar. So I have no idea at what time it is at. 
Just about all the shows you have to pay for once they are older than 30 days from release. 
I used to contribute to PBS so paying the money to get access was not a big deal but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for a horrible app that doesn't even work right anymore. 
0 Kudos