Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Overheating on Prime

Hi Danny:

I watched my first PRIME movie a week ago and after about 25 minutes, my ROKU Streaming Stick overheated.  I finished the movie on my phone--not convenient.  Last night, I started watching a new program on PRIME and after about 25 minutes, the same thing happened...the Stick overheated.  I've had the stick for over 2 years and it's never overheated before.  I've only had PRIME for a very short time and it's overheated both times I tried to watch something and only those TWO times.  Can you please help me?  Thanks, Susie

Overheating Roku:

Model: 3800X

OS Info: 9.3.0 Build 4172-55

Prime Video Version 1.0 Build 80000014

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes, I have the same issue, very bizarre indeed. I did order the HDMI extender and it still overheats. But I can watch Netflix for hours on end, I probably shouldn't, without any issues. Woman Tongue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@wizhawk 

Thanks for the information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate team to look further into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have the same problem using 3800x.   I May be a conspiracy theorist, but could it be something Amazon itself causes when a roku device is recognized?  I have just dscided to watch Prine on my non roku device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My Roku also gives me an over heating notification ONLY when watching Amazon Prime; and it's everytime. Doesn't matter whether I use TV built in USB or the AC adaptor. Help is hard to get, just like trying to leave this message multiple times.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku seems to be following this regularly, as I've seen them ask for add'l info on several posts.  Then they say they will pass it on to the group responsible but have yet to give any feedback.  Doesn't look like a high priority.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I'm disappointed they haven't been able to fix the issue. As a workaround, I bought an Amazon fire stick. They go on sale frequently and don't have this problem Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I ordered and received fhe extension on Saturday.  Since its installation I have had zero overheating warnings while viewing Prime .  3800x stick.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Awkward Overheating Solution:

Same story here, overheats only on Prime streaming to a 65 inch Samsung TV.  Roku sent me a free short HDMI extender that did not solve the problem.  I bought a 12 inch long HDMI extender and a small clip-on fan.  I attached the fan to the back of my console  mounted TV and aimed it at the Roku.  Prime now plays nonstop and the Roku stick is barely above room temperature. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

msg said sent to team on 24 June... it is now Aug 20... I am tired of putting it in ice packs to watch...lack of a person at Roku to talk to has soured me on Roku.

0 Kudos