Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pdklein88
Level 7

Re: Overheating on Prime

I gave up on Roku and bought an Amazon Fire Stick. My Roku isn't working reliably anymore (probably due to being overheated). 

0 Kudos
Wilsoncc7
Level 7

Really odd that this only happens on Prime (Samsung 65” 4K tv) as Amazon will happily sell your their competing product...wait for it....which doesn’t overheat when watching prime! I think Amazon is back loading extra code to ROKU product to make it work harder and overheat! Any other competing product other than fire stick? May I can try AppleTV

0 Kudos
Whosyer
Level 7

Same exact problem here.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Whosyer 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with the following information:
-Roku Model and serial number (found in Settings > System > About)
-Roku OS version and build (found in Settings > System > About)
-Channel version (found by selecting the channel in the Home page and pressing the * button)
-When does this issue occur? Does it happen during playback, navigation, etc?

With more information we will be able to look deeper into the issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
dsimmons411
Level 8

Danny,

I was the person who originally reported this problem. I received all sorts of assurances that you and your team were working on the problem, but I never heard anything back about an actual solution. Now I am having similar problems with YouTube. I note that others are complaining of issues with YouTube and Roku after a recent update to YouTube. In my case it is making our device overheat. I confess that this makes me even more hesitant to purchase any further Roku devices in the future, given that I have had constant problems with my current device pretty much since I purchased it, without any satisfactory support. Besides overheating, my remote control is frequently ineffective and acts as though the batteries are dead, even when a fresh pair are put in it. The volume control and on/off switch work perfectly, but none of the other buttons seem to work. I take the batteries out and put them back in/unplug the stick, etc., until it finally starts responding again. Do I just have a lemon?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@dsimmons411

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Dudette84
Level 8

Similar to Danny, I reported this a while ago. It seems to be doing fine with Amazon, but now I am also having an overheating issue with Youtube and Hulu apps.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Dudette84

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? How are you powering the Roku device? 

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Dudette84
Level 8

Hello Danny,

It is a Roku Streaming Stick. The overheating message comes on about 20/25 minutes from the start of using it on the Youtube app. YF00GU023216 is the serial number. 

Jacquelyn

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Dudette84

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website and seeing if that resolves your issue.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos