Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Overheating on Prime

This is a bizarre situation, as far as we can tell. Our Roku stick is overheating whenever we stream shows from Amazon Prime. We have never had the device overheat on any other channel . . . ever. We have tried watching other channels when the problem presents (after letting the stick cool down) and can watch and watch without a problem. Then we go back to Prime and it only takes about 15 minutes until the device overheats. Anyone else having a similar problem?

37 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Overheating on Prime

Got the "device overheating" message last night for the first time and it was also the first time using it to watch Amazon Prime/HBO.   Started about 30 minutes into program.  Unplugged stick from outlet for 30 minutes and retried.  Got message again, so immediately unplugged it. Very hot both times.  I have used this Roku stick to watch TV streaming from SPECTRUM provider for over a year - every night for hours - and have never had this problem.  Checked on internet and have found others with same problem.  Roku needs to fix this.

Highlighted
Level 16

Have never seen this here using all three of my active Rokus on my main set at one time or another, and we make heavy use of Amazon Prime. But I have an HD (1080p) set, not a 4K set. Are you guys using 4K tvs? This info might help Roku track down the problem.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

My set is HD as well. Never had a problem and use it all the time. The only problem is on Amazon Prime.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Just in case it turns out to be relevant, we are using Spectrum as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am having the same issue. Only with Amazon Prime does the stick overheat.

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@dsimmons411 @kw123albny @Dudette84 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with the following information:
-Roku Model and serial number (found in Settings > System > About)
-Roku OS version and build (found in Settings > System > About)
-Channel version (found by selecting the channel in the Home page and pressing the * button)

With more information we will be able to look deeper into the issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Having the same issue with Amazon Prime streaming. YouTube TV works  without issue. 

Using Streaming Stick

Model:3800R

Lot#: 2189038225

Device ID: CT396H124635

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same - Roku stick overheats ONLY on Amazon Prime.

Highlighted

Same problem! All other apps run fine, but Prime Video heats up the Roku badly. We've got it placed away from other electronics, well ventilated, plugged in independent of other devices and on a smart power strip in a switched slot. Never had another issue in 2 1/2 years. 

Model: 3900X (Roku Express)

Serial: YG00EJ236426

Software Version: 9.2.0 build 4806-51

Prime channel version: 11.2

Help, please! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos