Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sayonara
Reel Rookie

Re: Over The Air Channels (network tv) Disappeared

I exhausted all options and googled answers to no avail. The thing that worked for me was to disconnect TV power from the wall and leave it alone until next morning.  The next morning, I found all channels were back.

This is obviously a bug in the software which in my opinion corrupts cache if any and unless you drain all power from the TV will not go away.  Turning TV off/on from stick will not help.  Resetting System/channels will not work.  The only thing left to do was to do a factory reset which I never got to. Good luck.

0 Kudos
tvid
Binge Watcher

Possible solution: Last night, I was interacting with "Manage Channels" for the *streaming* channels in Roku TV (internet) and for whatever reason, antenna TV channels re-appeared.

This could be totally random - i.e., the internet-based channel guide was down all day and suddenly re-appeared at night); or possibly, the act of hiding/unhiding channels and setting favorites coaxed the antenna channels out of hiding.

- - -

I'd re-scanned channels twice yesterday and knew there was nothing wrong with the antenna, from another TV in house. And as mentioned, I could get the channels on TCL TV to re-appear by simply disconnecting ethernet cable (sans information on channel listings).

But what I couldn't get - as has been widely reported - was a functional channel listing or remote control operation of such, as long as internet was connected.

I accessed streaming channels via either left text menu "Live TV" or from within the Roku app.  Live *streaming* (internet) channel listings in either location worked as expected - and it was here that I accessed "Manage Channels" => and that action correlated with the return of antenna TV listings.

Just for fun, I then changed the icon to "antenna" and renamed the input, per suggestion of @Macmanjimmy69 ... but the issue had already mysteriously resolved itself. We hope the fix is relatively permanent; then again, this has happened several times in the past.

Fortunately, we also have HDHomeRun (off-air channels, converted to IP). So in that case, install the HDHomeRun app or use Roku Media Player to access HDHomeRun as DLNA/UpNP device. Works, but much prefer tuning off-air!

0 Kudos
tvid
Binge Watcher

Kudos: @AvsGunnar suggested accessing "Manage Channels" as a possible solution in the first reply to this thread - thanks.

The method I used was a slight variation, since it was impossible to even access the * function with the blank channel listing by accessing the primary "Live TV" input icon.  Had to access streaming channel list in alternate locations (Roku app or text heading in left column: "Live TV").

mstar

I changed Live TV to antenna, then to manage channels, then hide streaming channels.  Maybe this will work for you.

Macmanjimmy69
Binge Watcher

yes, found that out.. need to remove my post.. thanks

0 Kudos
tvid
Binge Watcher

Yes, I tend to agree that what's good and works is often thrown out the window in favor of whatever is shiny and new.

In this case, OTA tuning still works, is still the *base* of many folks' television/video viewing.

I am now preparing for the day when it will be difficult if not impossible to get reliable off-air tuning with a so-called 'smart' TV - we've already seen the writing on the wall with Roku's switch to emphasis on free streaming channels - aka 'Live TV' - which is actually a pretty good thing, if you have adequate Internet access. And don't particularly care about local channels.

Some of us still have marginal Internet access. One solution for off-air viewers: acquire an OTA-to-IP tuner (such as HDHomeRun). Doesn't require much internet access - as all processing is done locally, the signal is still tuned off-air, and the product is distributed via local area network. The tuner guide is also internet-based, but the stream itself is local.

In this case, since the devices are presumably *designed* to tune off-air, one would think that support for off-air tuning won't likely be discontinued as long as the devices are still available. On the Roku platform, viewing locally streaming channels is available via Roku Media Player or the HDHomeRun app. (I don't work for the HDHR company, only use their products.)

So, to use the TV over IP option would still require a local area network - and ideally, a computer to manage the device. But you don't have to have loads of bandwidth. I have noted that some of the streaming Roku 'TV' channels can use 4K bandwidth... which means great picture, but also rules out some folks who don't have great Internet access.

- - -

To be clear, it seems as if most of us commenting here still prefer OTA tuning, as present on old-timey 'dumb' TVs.  I certainly do prefer direct off-air tuning and hope that Roku continues to support off-air antenna tuning, indefinitely.

OTOH, I have see so many good products discontinued for no good reason other than 'no profit' - so I am preparing.  For one thing, I am maintaining my old tuner TVs as long as they will possibly function.

0 Kudos
Macmanjimmy69
Binge Watcher

you could have given me some "Props" (as the kids used to say) boost my ego ! LOL 

0 Kudos
tvid
Binge Watcher

Props to @Macmanjimmy69 - I appreciate the reference to antenna tuning in setting up the input!

I still don't know what makes/made the channel guide return, but the collective help of each of the community members who contributed is much appreciated.

Marko2

Solution - Do a factory re-set and do not connect the network to the tv. Do a channel scan and your channels should be back. For some reason when using the internet it does not see the cable input used for your off air TV signal. Instead it only sees the network live TV channels

0 Kudos

My dumb TV is a naxa!!! Perfect for tabletop.

0 Kudos