Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Options for watching NFL games?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Options for watching NFL games?

@WestBeachSide wrote:

I am trying to sort through ways to watch NFL games. Normally, I watch with my cable provider on CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX. But, I want to cut the cable to save $55/month. Unfortunately, I live in an area where an antenna only picks up ABC.

Sling TV does not include CBS or ABC, but includes the NFL network. My understanding is that the NFL network only broadcasts Thursday night games.

What other options am I missing? ...

You can get ABC with an antenna. CBS is available with Paramount Plus ($10/month plan). NBC games are on Peacock (Premium, $5/month). Fox remains an issue.

You say you'd save $55. Double check those numbers. Did you include the Broadcast Fee? I understand that's now $21/month. So, you may actually save $76/month if you didn't figure those into the difference. Of course, if you took bottom line vs bottom line, you did include them. I'm simply wanting to make sure you have full and complete numbers when comparing.

If an antenna is a way you'd go if you could pick up the stations, then you may want to dig deeper and ensure you're looking at proper data. For example, if you know you can only pick up ABC because you got an antenna and only picked up ABC, then it becomes a question of why didn't you get other local stations.

It could be that there are none, of course, but that's not usually the case.

It could be that the Fox, CBS, and NBC stations are in a different direction, and are far enough away that you can't get them and ABC at the same time.

It could be that you used a small indoor UHF antenna and you'd need a VHF antenna to pick up the other stations. Or a bigger antenna.

So, if antenna is a way you'd consider, it may be that there are some factors that could make it possible.

@WestBeachSide wrote:

... It would be nice if I could not subscribe to anything for 6 months of the year, then, during the NFL season, pay for some subscription(s) so that I can watch perhaps 49er and maybe a few Raider games.

Even if worst case scenario of $65/month for YouTube TV, which is $10 more than you're currently paying, came to be, for six months, you'd pay $10 more (+60) but then pay $55 less for the other six months (-330) netting a savings of $270 over a year.

Or, you may not need six months of a "streaming cable" service such as YouTube TV. You subscribe when you're ready to watch the first game, and that takes you 30 days, covering five weekends. Based on the 2021 schedule of the 49ers, you could have subscribed four times and watched all the regular games:

1. Sept 12 subscription covered Lions thru Cardinals, and expired Oct 12. A bye week Oct 17 means no subscription needed until ...
  2. Oct 24 subscription covered Colts thru Jaguars, and expired Nov 23.
  3. Nov 28 subscription covered Vikings thru Titans, and expired Dec 28.
  4. Jan 2 subscription covered Texans thru Rams to end the season. The subscription would also have covered thru the NFC Championship and expired Feb 1.

Yeah, that's more work, but a $65/month savings by doing the work, so there are ways if you feel it's worth the time. Meaning you'd pay $10 more only four months, and $55 less for eight months, netting a savings $400/year.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos