Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfwcordcutter
Level 8

Opening YouTube TV App Freezing Roku

I have four Roku Ultras, with YouTube TV as the primary channel.  For the past week or two, I've had an issue where I awaken the Roku after it sitting idle for hours, I click on the YouTube TV app, and then the Roku freezes without ever opening YouTube TV, and no other buttons on the remote have any effect on the screen.  After anywhere from 45 seconds to 2 minutes, the Roku reboots itself.

After rebooting, I confirm that the Roku is running the latest software and the channel is up to date, so it's not that.  I then followed the recommendations and uninstalled the YouTube TV app after the Roku rebooted.  After removing the app, I then rebooted the Roku again.  Following the second reboot, I reinstall YouTube TV, reauthenticate it via Google, and then it works correctly.  However, when I go to another Roku, it also freezes when opening YouTube TV and I have to repeat the procedure all over again.  I went through this on all 4 TVs, reauthenticated all of them, and put the YouTube TV app back in it's position in the channel list.  Everything worked fine....for awhile

A couple days after doing this the first time, I'm having to do it all over again as the exact same symptom has come up on my Roku Ultras, half of which are connected wirelessly, while the other two are hardwired.   Anyone else experiencing this or recommend a course of action that could resolve this?  Thank you.

-Adam

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Opening YouTube TV App Freezing Roku

Google has been futzing around with their YouTube TV and YouTube apps for several weeks now, creating new problems with each one they fix.

To be sure you have the latest iteration of these apps, you can reinstall them via this procedure:

1. Highlight channel on home screen.
  2. Press * key on the remote and choose Remove channel option.
  3. IMPORTANT- DON'T SKIP:
    Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart. (On a Roku TV, this is Settings > System > Power > System restart.)
  4. Reinstall the channel. Note it will be added to the END of the channel grid.
  5. If channel requires a login, you may need to log in anew.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
cremefraicheluv
Level 7

Yes same exact issue here. Interestingly it only happens on my Roku sound bar and not on either tv with Roku built in. Yet anyway. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

A couple of notes:

1) When you remove an app (or install one), it removes it from (or installs it on) all your devices at the same time (any that are currently on).  So if you do remove an app, make sure that you go around and restart ALL of your devices that are currently on, before reinstalling the app on ANY device.

2) YouTube TV and YouTube actually share (hidden) code libraries - its important to remove BOTH apps at the same time, regardless if you are having trouble with just one, restart all devices, then reinstall BOTH apps on any device (which reinstalls them on all devices).  You will have to re-authenticate/re-activate each app on each device.

3) Report the issue to YouTube TV support: https://support.google.com/youtubetv/gethelp    Don't be shy about asking for credit due to the issue, they generally give it out like candy for 2-4 weeks worth of service.

dfwcordcutter
Level 8

Thank you!  I had not tried restarting all four Rokus following the uninstall on one of them.  Your notes will also helpful to some that have the YouTube channel installed, which I do not.

0 Kudos
dfwcordcutter
Level 8

Thank you for sharing the insights about Google making frequent changes that may be introducing the instability.  Also, thank you for providing easy-to-follow steps for uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and your emphasis on restarting after uninstalling and before reinstalling.

Another response also recommended that because this occurs on multiple Rokus, that when I uninstall the channel on one Roku, which simultaneously uninstalls it for all of my Rokus, that I need to then go restart the others as well as the one I'm working with, prior to reinstalling.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

0 Kudos