Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nyxpooka
Binge Watcher

OAN subscription cancelled??!! Why? I need OAN!!!

I just got Roku yesterday (01/17/2022) because DirectTV dumped OAN. Now today Roku won't allow me to access OAN channel and continues to cancel my subscription! I'm pissed! OAN brought me here...and now I can't subscribe to the only channel I can't do without? Is Roku censoring also? 

107 REPLIES 107
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: OAN subscription cancelled??!! Why? I need OAN!!!

@Nyxpooka 

Are you using the OAN app from the Roku Channel Store?

Are you in the USA?

Are you using a VPN?

And can you give a better description of the issue? The phrase "won't allow me to access" can be interpreted many ways. Clearly spell out the steps you're taking and the response you get.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Nyxpooka
Binge Watcher

Sorry I am very new to this. Everything seemed fine yesterday, but today i went to sign on and I see this symbol that looks like a television set uploading into a cloud in front of One America News Network, and it will not allow me to click on it or do anything. It also looks like I was possibly unsubscribed from the service. I can get OAN Plus, but that is just all old stuff. I'm.getting the same symbol in front of Pluto, but I can get on there. 

Yes, I am in the USA, and no, I'm not using any VPN or anything. But There is a chance that my son, who is a little 7 yr old hacker-in-training, may have messed up the setup. 

Thank you for your help 

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Is your OAN access tied to your DirectTV subscription, or is it separate? If tied to DirectTV, it's possible they have already cancelled the "TVAnywhere" type access.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Nyxpooka 

You know, if @andyross is right about your accessing through a DirecTV account, that would explain it all. I saw reports that DirecTV is removing/has removed OANN from their service. If you’re paying OANN directly through Roku, this wouldn’t be the cause. But if DirecTV is the Authenticator, that would explain it. 

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Nyxpooka
Binge Watcher

No, it is not tied to DirecTV. It's supposed to be removed in early April. I'm just sick of them so I switched. 

BrianG2
Channel Surfer

I'm having the same issue.  Have had OAN for quite awhile on Roku, not tied to anything else.  A couple of days ago it said I had to update my subscription.  I went into settings and there was an old credit card number so I put in a new one and clicked the button to renew but its not working.  Signed in Roku through my computer and tried to renew it that way but still nothing.  I've reset both my Rokus by plugging them and letting them reboot and I've tried to remove the channel and then reinstall it but it won't even let delete it.  I've emailed Roku as well but haven't heard back from them yet.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi there @BrianG2,

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for letting us know what you've done.

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Are you being prompted with an error message? If yes, What was the exact error message you are seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?

Keep us posted with the details.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy

@BrianG2 wrote:

...t and I've tried to remove the channel and then reinstall it but it won't even let delete it.

It won't let you remove a channel for which you have an active subscription through Roku.   I assume this is to prevent people from assuming that by removing the channel they have cancelled their subscription then get bent out of shape that the charges keep coming.

When you highlight the channel on the channel grid for a channel to which you have subscribed through Roku and press the * key on the Roku remote the "Remove channel" option will have been replaced by a "Manage subscription" option instead. Click this and cancel your subscription. (It will continue to remain active for the rest of the prepaid subscription period, but will not auto-renew at that point. You can resubscribe when it expires if you like.)

Now the "Remove channel" option will be shown and you can remove it.

Once you've removed it, best practice is to restart your Roku to clear its memory before reinstalling the channel. Without the restart you may not get a clean reinstall.

Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System > Power or under Settings > System.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
BrianG2
Channel Surfer

Now it's now saying my subscription has been canceled and I get the prompt to remove the channel.  However when I try it says "Could not remove... Please try again later."  I've tried this from two different devices, a Roku TV and a Steaming Stick and got the same results.  Rebooted the Roku TV by unplugging it but still the same result.