Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: A Couple New Channels with More to Come

"silentprey1968" wrote:
Great job NWM! I see your working on a MLB channel. Any chance you could do something with the NHL? The work your putting into this is appreciated. Thank you!

NHL.com only podcasts audio content. Not something I can do right now, but maybe in the future.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"robertm" wrote:
"JoshuaMarc1234" wrote:

While I would have to agree with you on rewarding both channel developers on effort, I don't find any of the content very compelling for either developer's channels and hence didn't donate - no disrespect to either developers efforts. Just some honest feedback that hopefully will be taken as useful and not mean spirited.

That is not the point. The point is that if a developer can make some money off of it they will be more interested in adding more channels.

NWM's streaming tracking site is worth a donation all by itself.

I tend to agree with Robert on this. While most of the content thus far is not that compelling, my main reason for donating $37 between the two developers thus far is to encourage more activity on the development front in the hopes that more people work to make more content available to us. I don't know if I will be watching any of the recently released private channels 6 months from now; however, I am quite certain that if the developers aren't encouraged, there won't be a lot of effort by them and others to bring content.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"jcmolet" wrote:
"robertm" wrote:
"JoshuaMarc1234" wrote:

While I would have to agree with you on rewarding both channel developers on effort, I don't find any of the content very compelling for either developer's channels and hence didn't donate - no disrespect to either developers efforts. Just some honest feedback that hopefully will be taken as useful and not mean spirited.

That is not the point. The point is that if a developer can make some money off of it they will be more interested in adding more channels.

I tend to agree with Robert on this. While most of the content thus far is not that compelling, my main reason for donating $37 between the two developers thus far is to encourage more activity on the development front in the hopes that more people work to make more content available to us. I don't know if I will be watching any of the recently released private channels 6 months from now; however, I am quite certain that if the developers aren't encouraged, there won't be a lot of effort by them and others to bring content.

I agree with the point being made by Robert and yourself jc. I just don't think there is better content available, based on what I've seen, that isn't in the big media conglomerates' domain. Therefore, my point is in trying to up the ante to Roku in:

1: Realizing that the lack of content available is a legitimate bottleneck.
2: More 2nd tier content ( my value judgement ) isn't truly a draw.
3: I'm not trying to discourage more development or be critical of the developer's efforts so far, but only state that development of more of the same content only fills a channel queue, it doesn't necessarily up the value prop of Roku.
4: Boxee Box is going to be a serious 'new kid on the block' for Roku to contend with.

I'm happy to be in the minority on this, but feel it is a valid point. Perhaps one I'm not communicating effectively though.
Motorola 6121 Modem>Linksys E1000 Router wired to>
Roku Model: Roku 2 XS - 13A17HO52395
Audio/Video: Sony BX420, 40", Stereo, Panasonic GT50, Digital Audio Out
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"JoshuaMarc1234" wrote:
"robertm" wrote:
"JoshuaMarc1234" wrote:

My only point Robert is that more channels, both Roku Store and Private, have not provided anything that I watch, so additional channels, Roku Store or otherwise, of similar content don't excite me. Which is why I'm beginning to think that the Boxee Box will be a better fit for me with it's TV offerings and more navigable/robust UI.

I bring all this up because I think there are valid issues here that Roku is going to have to contend with in competing with the Boxee Box, when it comes out.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Roku but it has it's limitations as regards content beyond NF and Amazon - for my viewing tastes that is.

Great point on NWM's streaming tracker's value, thanks.

I own a roku. Actually, I own 3 of them. I have spent $300 with roku. If a few more bucks here and there help me get the most out of my investment then I am in. I agree that most of the channels offered so far via the channel store or in private offerings have not yielded much for me and some that might don't work quite yet but this is still early in the process.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"robertm" wrote:

I own a roku. Actually, I own 3 of them. I have spent $300 with roku. If a few more bucks here and there help me get the most out of my investment then I am in. I agree that most of the channels offered so far via the channel store or in private offerings have not yielded much for me and some that might don't work quite yet but this is still early in the process.

Agreed with your last above. But the question, in my mind, then becomes - what is actually available that isn't more of the same offered so far by Private and RS, to add to Roku that is not in Big Medias' control? More Private Channel ( PC ) development does not make for interesting content if all that PC can offer is podcasts and 2 min. clips - PR stuff designed to entice viewers to buy Premium? If no content is really available, I would then go so far as to postulate that these developers are just wasting their time, however well intentioned. If this is the case, then it's a waste of our dollars too.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I can't speak for other developers, but I'm doing this for fun and I'm succeeding. I'm having a blast and learning a lot at the same time. So don't worry about me. Your dollars are your problem, but none of this is even close to being a waste of my time. 8-)
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"nowhereman" wrote:
I can't speak for other developers, but I'm doing this for fun and I'm succeeding. I'm having a blast and learning a lot at the same time. So don't worry about me. Your dollars are your problem, but none of this is even close to being a waste of my time. 8-)

Lol, good points Chris and I'm glad to hear your above. Smiley Very Happy

Again, I'm only speaking to content that is a draw for me and really ups the value prop of Roku, and time - wasted or not, equating to monetizing one's efforts, which is obviously not your impetus.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Having dropped my sat and cable over two years ago, this is what I've been waiting for. Downloading these as podcasts and watching them on a small ipod is just a pain and not worth it. Having them on my TV with easy access is super and now, not a waste of my time either. THANK YOU!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"JoshuaMarc1234" wrote:
"robertm" wrote:

Agreed with your last above. But the question, in my mind, then becomes - what is actually available that isn't more of the same offered so far by Private and RS, to add to Roku that is not in Big Medias' control? More Private Channel ( PC ) development does not make for interesting content if all that PC can offer is podcasts and 2 min. clips - PR stuff designed to entice viewers to buy Premium? If no content is really available, I would then go so far as to postulate that these developers are just wasting their time, however well intentioned. If this is the case, then it's a waste of our dollars too.

I don't know. I am hoping that given proper incentive developers will scour the internet to find worthy content.

<10 minute clips/shows and news don't do anything for me. National news is my exception to the rule in the computer vs living room debate. I prefer to get my news on my computer because I can pick through it faster.

When they get fixed I will use the Nasa channel and PBS. They will only be minor contributors to my weekly viewing diet but I will use them. Revision 3 has several shows I watch weekly now. The two new older movie channels will probably get used some each month.

With all the new channels a little more has come in for me. It isn't much but every little bit helps.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"JoshuaMarc1234" wrote:
I just don't think there is better content available, based on what I've seen, that isn't in the big media conglomerates' domain.

I fear you may be right on this point. In numerous earlier threads I spoke of Roku's need to add "premium" content. By and large, that generally means the content that is in the hands of big media. While I have found a little bit of decent content with providers like MHz Networks and DreamTV - as two examples - and I appreciate what they are trying to do, I would say most current Roku owners find their content underwhelming and I don't imagine most people will be drawn to buying a Roku for what they are currently offering.

Obvioulsy I am not the first to make this observation; however, I think the first provider (Roku, Apple, Boxee, Popbox, etc.) to really land a couple of top tier content creators (Disney, Showtime, HBO, another sports league, etc.) will really jump ahead of the competition and it will be a definitive signal that streaming content is being seen as a viabe content delivery mechanism that can compete with the likes of the Comcast Cables and DirecTVs.
0 Kudos