Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: A Couple New Channels with More to Come

"jcmolet" wrote:
"JoshuaMarc1234" wrote:
I just don't think there is better content available, based on what I've seen, that isn't in the big media conglomerates' domain.

I fear you may be right on this point. In numerous earlier threads I spoke of Roku's need to add "premium" content. By and large, that generally means the content that is in the hands of big media. While I have found a little bit of decent content with providers like MHz Networks and DreamTV - as two examples - and I appreciate what they are trying to do, I would say most current Roku owners find their content underwhelming and I don't imagine most people will be drawn to buying a Roku for what they are currently offering.

Obvioulsy I am not the first to make this observation; however, I think the first provider (Roku, Apple, Boxee, Popbox, etc.) to really land a couple of top tier content creators (Disney, Showtime, HBO, another sports league, etc.) will really jump ahead of the competition and it will be a definitive signal that streaming content is being seen as a viabe content delivery mechanism that can compete with the likes of the Comcast Cables and DirecTVs.

I couldn't have summarized better jc.

Again, my other primary point is in looking at Boxee Box vs. Roku in the context of content, which is kind of a 'jack' of this thread in a sense but speaks to content quality in the aggregate.

I can't get Boxee Beta on my PPC Mac so I don't know for sure, but in looking at their promo videos of their UI and if my understanding is correct that they have a Hulu like offering of current TV content, I would probably sell off my Roku and get a Boxee Box.

I wonder what Roku's strategy is in competing with Boxee Box, when it does come out?
Motorola 6121 Modem>Linksys E1000 Router wired to>
Roku Model: Roku 2 XS - 13A17HO52395
Audio/Video: Sony BX420, 40", Stereo, Panasonic GT50, Digital Audio Out
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I wonder what Roku's strategy is in competing with Boxee Box, when it does come out?

Different content so I don't think it will hurt Roku sales, the odd shape of the Boxee Box is also an acquired taste.
As for Roku surviving in the future with all CE devices streaming this year...it will be tough, Walmart will be pushing Vudu on the devices they sell as well.
I appreciate what developers are doing with the private channels and podcasts but I would like more premium content.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"moviegeek65" wrote:

Different content so I don't think it will hurt Roku sales, the odd shape of the Boxee Box is also an acquired taste.
As for Roku surviving in the future with all CE devices streaming this year...it will be tough, Walmart will be pushing Vudu on the devices they sell as well.
I appreciate what developers are doing with the private channels and podcasts but I would like more premium content.

Different content how? Boxee has NF, which is the main content of Roku.

As for the look of the box, I'm not sure how that factors into anything at the end of the day. It's what the box can deliver, not what it looks like. Will Boxee not have Amazon?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"JoshuaMarc1234" wrote:

As for the look of the box, I'm not sure how that factors into anything at the end of the day. It's what the box can deliver, not what it looks like. Will Boxee not have Amazon?

It will not have Netflix at launch.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"philsoft" wrote:
"JoshuaMarc1234" wrote:

Ohhhhhhh, I didn't know that. The Boxee Box promo video I watched, just today, promoted NF content in the first few seconds of the promo. It was one of the main things the video highlighted.

Are you certain of it not having NF "at launch"?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"JoshuaMarc1234" wrote:
"philsoft" wrote:
"JoshuaMarc1234" wrote:

Ohhhhhhh, I didn't know that. The Boxee Box promo video I watched, just today, promoted NF content in the first few seconds of the promo. It was one of the main things the video highlighted.

Are you certain of it not having NF "at launch"?

Last I heard, they would be supporting Netflix but not at launch, and Hulu support is very bad. Hulu supposedly drops you every so often while you are watching video.

EDIT: This is from the Boxee Facebook feed
Boxee Box by D-Link Selling should begin some time in late spring and for under $200 Smiley Happy On the release Boxee Box will not support NetFlix or Hulu, they are working to change both issues.

http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=273283470815&share_id=288593399526&comments=1
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Tonight's additions...

CNET
Archive.org
MLB.com
GameTrailers.com
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
0 Kudos
Highlighted

http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/
You need to keep posting the link for these goodies.
I had to go scrounge my way back to your post for it.
Then i got smart i bookmarked it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"nowhereman" wrote:
Tonight's additions...

CNET
Archive.org
MLB.com
GameTrailers.com

I just added archive.org - one of the BEST web sites on the net.....

I will check it out when I get home BUT have you given any thought to accessing their stremaing library of live music - specifically their Grateful Dead archives (thousands of shows from the sixtys to 1995 - many of them origional soundboard mixes)
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I would live to see more kids content to keep my kids happy. I have not been very popular since I dropped cable. I see PBS Kids is on the requested list I wonder if Nick Jr and playhouse Disney could be added they have shows that they stream from their web site. Thanks a lot for the great work. My wife is now happy she can watch the national news shows after the kids go to bed. She used to DVR it and watch it when we had cable now she can just go to it and watch it.
0 Kudos