Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Nowhere TV

Ever since the Roku DVP came into being there has been the need for some very basic and very useful apps to make it more user friendly. The channel store upgrades to name one which were warmly received. In the days of only half a dozen channels a good cross channel search function wasn't really needed. But now with over 600 channels available (I think that is an approx count now) it just screams out that someone (either Roku or an independent channel team) develop something which will allow you to search through the available public and/or private channels for specific content. I am sure that someone will probably respond that each channel is different and that it would be very difficult if not impossible to accomplish. But I think we have seen over and over from Roku and the developers what once seemed difficult or impossible come into being.

I for one request a good search for specific content across channel search function. Anyone else with me?

Maybe off topic for this forum but pertinant to a question above and some of the replys to it

"ThriftyBK" wrote:
"mouthwash" wrote:
I thought I saw Tiny Desk Concerts on Nowhere TV recently, but now I can't find it. Was that removed from Nowhere TV or is that on another channel? Thanks for the help.

Tiny Desk Concerts is within 'npr' -- found in News & Politics (Nowhere TV).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"vnzjunk" wrote:
Ever since the Roku DVP came into being there has been the need for some very basic and very useful apps to make it more user friendly. The channel store upgrades to name one which were warmly received. In the days of only half a dozen channels a good cross channel search function wasn't really needed. But now with over 600 channels available (I think that is an approx count now) it just screams out that someone (either Roku or an independent channel team) develop something which will allow you to search through the available public and/or private channels for specific content. I am sure that someone will probably respond that each channel is different and that it would be very difficult if not impossible to accomplish. But I think we have seen over and over from Roku and the developers what once seemed difficult or impossible come into being.

I for one request a good search for specific content across channel search function. Anyone else with me?
Disallowed by Roku Developer Agreement (without written approval from Roku, at least):
"Roku Developer Agreement" wrote:
E. Developer may not, without prior written approval from Roku, offer a Channel Application
with search functionalities across multiple Roku channel applications.
http://www.roku.com/Libraries/Legal/Roku_Channel_Developer_Agreement.sflb.ashx
They added the Search channel to Roku 2, and it searches across major content providers. Perhaps in a future update, they'll add the ability for other developers/content owners to include their content as well. I doubt that private channels would be included, they're not in the channel store for the same reasons that will probably preclude them being able to be in the Search channel -- such as content rights issues or developer design(e.g the Re/Max channel).
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

so yesterday, the History Channel on Nowhere wasn't working and today it looks like it has been removed. Did the folks at History take note and ask for removal?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Could the programs at http://tv.shimano.co.jp/ be added to Nowhere TV?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"stratcat96" wrote:
so yesterday, the History Channel on Nowhere wasn't working and today it looks like it has been removed. Did the folks at History take note and ask for removal?

This may have something to do with it:
Flingo: Roku says: "More than 70 new channels, including brands like TMZ, A&E, History Channel , Lifetime, Transworld, Warren Miller, Fitness Magazine, and CollegeHumor. Select channels are available now. New channels will launch every month."

Clipped from here: http://ces.cnet.com/8301-34444_1-57562232/roku-surpasses-700-channels-adds-roku-ready-tv-partners/
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

re: Disallowed by Roku Developer Agreement (without written approval from Roku, at least):

I was thinking more in terms of ROKU themselves developing this as they did the movie search and the latest version of the channel store. Just indicating a need/desire for such........700 channels....no one can know what is on each one without something like this. You get the feeling that so much is being missed by not knowing. JMHO

"gonzotek" wrote:
"vnzjunk" wrote:

Disallowed by Roku Developer Agreement (without written approval from Roku, at least):
"Roku Developer Agreement" wrote:
E. Developer may not, without prior written approval from Roku, offer a Channel Application
with search functionalities across multiple Roku channel applications.
http://www.roku.com/Libraries/Legal/Roku_Channel_Developer_Agreement.sflb.ashx
They added the Search channel to Roku 2, and it searches across major content providers. Perhaps in a future update, they'll add the ability for other developers/content owners to include their content as well. I doubt that private channels would be included, they're not in the channel store for the same reasons that will probably preclude them being able to be in the Search channel -- such as content rights issues or developer design(e.g the Re/Max channel).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"vnzjunk" wrote:
re: Disallowed by Roku Developer Agreement (without written approval from Roku, at least):

I was thinking more in terms of ROKU themselves developing this as they did the movie search and the latest version of the channel store. Just indicating a need/desire for such........700 channels....no one can know what is on each one without something like this. You get the feeling that so much is being missed by not knowing. JMHO
I agree that the idea of being able to search across all the disparate sources available on Roku is a good one. And it's definitely something Roku themselves would need to do. The way that Roku designed their system, where channel developers essentially write a complete application program that is executed on each user's Roku, means the only way a system like this can work is to create an opt-in system where the developers/content rights holders submit an index of their material for inclusion in Roku Search results, and the necessary hooks into their channel code to let Roku call up the correct piece of content and present it in the way the channel owners intended (i.e. Hulu content gets the Hulu-style playback controls, Netflix gets the Netflix controls, etc.).

Because content sources can change at any time (availability windows, new content added, obsolete content removed, etc.), and because channel authors are free to use any technical measure available to them to inform their respective channels of content availability, there's no simple way for Roku to 'know' what's on each and every channel at any given moment. Some channels might be using xml, some others may use json, still others may use flat text files, while others may have proprietary apis that aren't documented anywhere publicly, for fear of having their content stolen. So it'd be up to Roku to provide a standard indexing format/api, and to developers/rights holders to opt-in to that system and provide the necessary channel support for launching into content from it. Certainly not impossible, or even especially difficult. I think the big question is will enough users want it enough, and will channel developers/rights holders and Roku see enough value in it?
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"gonzotek" wrote:
I agree that the idea of being able to search across all the disparate sources available on Roku is a good one. And it's definitely something Roku themselves would need to do. The way that Roku designed their system, where channel developers essentially write a complete application program that is executed on each user's Roku, means the only way a system like this can work is to create an opt-in system where the developers/content rights holders submit an index of their material for inclusion in Roku Search results, and the necessary hooks into their channel code to let Roku call up the correct piece of content and present it in the way the channel owners intended (i.e. Hulu content gets the Hulu-style playback controls, Netflix gets the Netflix controls, etc.).

Because content sources can change at any time (availability windows, new content added, obsolete content removed, etc.), and because channel authors are free to use any technical measure available to them to inform their respective channels of content availability, there's no simple way for Roku to 'know' what's on each and every channel at any given moment. Some channels might be using xml, some others may use json, still others may use flat text files, while others may have proprietary apis that aren't documented anywhere publicly, for fear of having their content stolen. So it'd be up to Roku to provide a standard indexing format/api, and to developers/rights holders to opt-in to that system and provide the necessary channel support for launching into content from it. Certainly not impossible, or even especially difficult. I think the big question is will enough users want it enough, and will channel developers/rights holders and Roku see enough value in it?

System-wide search is an interesting topic and certainly worth discussing, but let's try to limit this thread to conversation directly related to Nowhere TV. Thanks Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"RokuChris" wrote:
System-wide search is an interesting topic and certainly worth discussing, but let's try to limit this thread to conversation directly related to Nowhere TV. Thanks Smiley Happy
Sorry about that, opened a new thread on the topic here:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=53853&start=0
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I may be in the wrong place for this question, but if so please direct me to the correct area of the forum. How does Nowhere TV go about picking the channels it adds?
Thank you
0 Kudos