Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Nowhere TV

I LOVE nowehere tV and it is one of my most watched channels since we bought our roku box a couple of weeks ago. I see that you have some local news channels, will you be adding more? Was wondering if there is one for NBC 4 Washington DC that may be added? We're thinking about giving our Directv the boot and going to ROKU completely if we can finnd everything we like to watch on our roku. Thanks again for creating this great channel!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"wildflower769" wrote:
I LOVE nowehere tV and it is one of my most watched channels since we bought our roku box a couple of weeks ago. I see that you have some local news channels, will you be adding more? Was wondering if there is one for NBC 4 Washington DC that may be added? We're thinking about giving our Directv the boot and going to ROKU completely if we can finnd everything we like to watch on our roku. Thanks again for creating this great channel!

remember too that you can use an antenna to receive all the free over the air HD programming, including that NBC affiliate if end up dumping dish
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"stratcat96" wrote:

remember too that you can use an antenna to receive all the free over the air HD programming, including that NBC affiliate if end up dumping dish

True, but it needs to be pointed out that many people, like me, receive zero signal with any antenna that can be used. I live in an apartment. in a rural valley. No rabbit ears of any form will get a signal if it does not exist.

Therefore, for many people, there is no way, short of moving, to get an over the air signal. It is disingenuous for people to always assume that an over the air signal is available.

There are many people even in urban or suburban locations that cannot get any useable signal and the only chance those people have for non-cable or non-satellite reception of channels like NBC is something like Roku and, for some, local news is one of the most important things that could be provided.

Of course, for those of us rural enough, we can find out all the important local news by just stopping by and talking to Clem on his stoop. Plus he has the best moonshine actually on tap right by his left hand. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"Gilgamesh" wrote:

Therefore, for many people, there is no way, short of moving, to get an over the air signal. It is disingenuous for people to always assume that an over the air signal is available.

I wouldn't say the suggestion is disingenuous. In most places you can get OTA signals, with the proper antenna. There's a whole generation of people who have never had anything but cable and have no Idea that antennas still work, better than ever in fact. It doesn't hurt to remind them that for many locations, OTA is a viable alternative and worth checking out.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@ gilgamesh---------------

and if it is good shine it makes the bad news seem a bit less depressing....
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"knuckle" wrote:
@ gilgamesh---------------

and if it is good shine it makes the bad news seem a bit less depressing....

It's not good, it's great. A couple of good shots and one not only does not get depressed, one cannot even remember what it is that might be depressing.

Age+shine makes one content with life. :mrgreen:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I was in no way trying to be rude by my suggestion to look at OTA, merely to suggest an option that many aren't aware exists that can really aid in the cord-cutting quest. Since that particular poster was talking about an NBC affiliate in DC, I didn't consider a possibility that she is living in the "hills" since the inference was made that she did receive that channel as part of her DirectTV subscription indicating she was in that affiliate's market and knowing the relative geography of the surrounding area. I apologize none the less Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"stratcat96" wrote:
I was in no way trying to be rude by my suggestion to look at OTA, merely to suggest an option that many aren't aware exists that can really aid in the cord-cutting quest. Since that particular poster was talking about an NBC affiliate in DC, I didn't consider a possibility that she is living in the "hills" since the inference was made that she did receive that channel as part of her DirectTV subscription indicating she was in that affiliate's market and knowing the relative geography of the surrounding area. I apologize none the less Smiley Happy

No real need to apologize as I missed the DC reference so my post was a bit over the top for that response. However I would like to point out that many urban dwellers have no access to over the air signals in spite of being right in the heard of the strongest signals as structures can, and often do, attenuate signals to the point of being unusable.

My daughter moved several months ago to the DC area and for a couple of months lived in an apartment near the center of DC. In that apartment there was only one ch that she could receive at all and that one cut out every few seconds in spite of getting several different antennas and trying many locations in the apartment.

The family recently moved to on base family housing and now they get all the chs with a cheap pair of rabbit ears.

Even in good signal areas the over air reception can be degraded to the point of unuseability.

My reaction to that post was more to the proliferation of responses to that kind of issue suggesting that OTA is always a possibility. There are a huge number of people that do not have that as even a possibility and, just guessing, more than half of those (looking at the number of people living urban and hampered by structures) do not live rural.

I over reacted a bit, for which I apologize, and OTA should be suggested to those that need local programing but it is not a solution that should be presented as viable for all.

Edit to add: I live in the Chattanooga area for local chs and I receive, when I had DirectTV, Chattanooga local chs through through them but that in no way meant that I could get those chs OTA.

Now if I lived up on one of the hills then there would be no problem but I live in the valley and therefore no reception for me. In fact if I lived on the hills I could not only get Chattanooga but probably Knoxville and Nashville as well with just an average antenna.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
"stratcat96" wrote:

No real need to apologize as I missed the DC reference so my post was a bit over the top for that response. However I would like to point out that many urban dwellers have no access to over the air signals in spite of being right in the heard of the strongest signals as structures can, and often do, attenuate signals to the point of being unusable.

My daughter moved several months ago to the DC area and for a couple of months lived in an apartment near the center of DC. In that apartment there was only one ch that she could receive at all and that one cut out every few seconds in spite of getting several different antennas and trying many locations in the apartment.

The family recently moved to on base family housing and now they get all the chs with a cheap pair of rabbit ears.

Even in good signal areas the over air reception can be degraded to the point of unuseability.

My reaction to that post was more to the proliferation of responses to that kind of issue suggesting that OTA is always a possibility. There are a huge number of people that do not have that as even a possibility and, just guessing, more than half of those (looking at the number of people living urban and hampered by structures) do not live rural.

I over reacted a bit, for which I apologize, and OTA should be suggested to those that need local programing but it is not a solution that should be presented as viable for all.

Edit to add: I live in the Chattanooga area for local chs and I receive, when I had DirectTV, Chattanooga local chs through through them but that in no way meant that I could get those chs OTA.

Now if I lived up on one of the hills then there would be no problem but I live in the valley and therefore no reception for me. In fact if I lived on the hills I could not only get Chattanooga but probably Knoxville and Nashville as well with just an average antenna.

no problem my man Smiley Happy And you are right, unfortunately OTA is not a viable solution for everybody, but it is a solution that's worth investigation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I don't suppose there's any possibility I could use this with my equinux TubeStick. If not, are there any other similar channels that might work. Just though I'd ask before scouring the used market for a cheap replacement.
0 Kudos