Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: A Couple New Channels with More to Come

"KennyJ" wrote:
"Saqqara" wrote:

I do think that lumping similar channels together is a good idea; NPR, PRI, APM = Public Radio.

I think this makes more sense...

I agree.

"KennyJ" wrote:

And perhaps "TV Podcasts" to mix all the ABC, NBC, etc. podcasts under 1 channel

I don't think that suggestion is bad.... but I think a Genre's approach would be more user friendly. For example, the "Public Radio" genre, the "News" genre, the "Kids" genre, the "Sports" genre. Hmmm... it does sound a bit too much like MediaFly; however, instead of rotating in the latest and greatest podcasts into say a "News" genre like MediaFly does, I personally like the static feel of the Nowhereman created channels better. Again, for example, say you browsed to the News genre channel, then you could have submenus to ABC, CBS, NBC, etc, with submenus to the individual shows inside them, basically like the individualized channels Nowhereman has already created behave. This, IMHO, is far superior to the MediaFly "whatever is the newest no matter what the source" channel genre model.

Any thoughts?

Yup,
Prodigious Juggalo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"nowhereman" wrote:
"rmilner" wrote:
I too would like to say thank you.
I would like to suggest of breaking this into a group project. Say a few people were to research a certain area and find links to material and a smaller more technical group would review this material and find out if it is in the right format and then those people could forward that onto nowhereman in the way that would make it easier for him to create or add to his channels. This is just a suggestion.

Before I start coding it.... what would everyone think if I combined all this stuff into one channel? I have a sketch of an idea that involves a category bar across the top of the main screen which would list the various "networks". Once you navigated to one of those categories, the channel would behave the same way the current ones do. This way you only have to install one channel, there's less clutter on your launch screen, there's less code for me to maintain, and it makes a scheme like rmilner describes a bit easier to implement.

I'm also starting to feel like we're duplicating the MediaFly channel in a lot of ways. I'm curious what people think are the most compelling reasons to use my channels rather then MediaFly or vice versa?

I think it's a great idea. I was about to suggest something similar but more complicated, I like the simpler approach. Go for it!

I want to thank you again. You have, alone, added channel features that I enjoy much more than Mediafly and all the others (except Pandora which I love and maybe Flickr). The comparison between yours and Mediafly's is simple -- yours work. Also, I like the audio podcast and radio feeds. People have been asking for them for a long time and you delivered. You have greatly increased the value of the Roku to me and many others, judging from the posts here. (If Roku can fix the interleave problem we'd be in great shape, get crackin' Roku!). I also liked the way you designed your channels around the standard and well established web podcasts/rss feeds. Just an excellent job all the way 'round.

So, thanks and keep at it. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

<duplicate> can't delete?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Okay.. it'a late, I'm a tad bleary eyed, and I've had to hard-reset my box 3 times tonight, but here's my opening salvo... the code is H9DWC

"Amazing. I have the same combination on my luggage" -- President Skroob

And now, if you will excuse me, my Kindle and a cup of cocoa await. Looking forward to reading your comments on the new channel in the morning. Smiley LOL
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"nowhereman" wrote:
Okay.. it'a late, I'm a tad bleary eyed, and I've had to hard-reset my box 3 times tonight, but here's my opening salvo... the code is H9DWC

And now, if you will excuse me, my Kindle and a cup of cocoa await. Looking forward to reading your comments on the new channel in the morning. Smiley LOL

It works! Smiley Wink

I wasn't sure about the dark background at first, but I like it OK after 'adjusting' to the different look. Everything seems to work fine (so far) and it's nice to have everything in one channel on the main "menu" of the Roku. Good job!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"nowhereman" wrote:

It works! Smiley Wink

I wasn't sure about the dark background at first, but I like it OK after 'adjusting' to the different look. Everything seems to work fine (so far) and it's nice to have everything in one channel on the main "menu" of the Roku. Good job!

<for some reason I keep getting duplicate posts tonight and can't delete them - sorry!>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"lancescape" wrote:
"BoloMKXXVIII" wrote:
NWM,

I was on your web site and the only way I see to donate is with PayPal. I do not have a PayPal account but would like to make a donation. Are there any other options?

Thank you.

You don't need a PayPal account to process a payment through their system. On the lower left of the PP page...

"Don't have a PayPal account?
Use your credit card or bank account (where available). Continue"

Will do that when I get home today!
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I LOVE it! It's nice not to have my home screen so cluttered. I also like being able to just scroll across the top and see all the shows under each site. Much better IMO. I actually like the dark background too. It sets it apart from ALL the other channels. Good work!
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"devils.punchbowl" wrote:
This is great. My roku is disconnected right now due to some transitions I'm making. I have not had time to read through much of this thread either. Though I'm interested in checking some of these channels out. I'm very excited about NHL. Anyone using that channel ? Curious. I have a NHL gamecenter live account. Can I view the live games with my account via this channel ? Should be able to activate channels later in the week.

Most of the shows in the NHL channel are audio only. Sound is nice and crisp/ sound great. There are a few video podcasts here. Black Hawk TV is cool. Hockey's Finest is good, but has audio dropouts/hic-ups. I don't believe you'll be able to watch NHL Gamecenter Live until the NHL creates an official Roku channel. NWM has created these channels by using audio/video podcasts.

Thanks again NWM. Love all the content you found for your NHL channel!
Roku Streaming Stick - 3500R
Roku 2 XD - 3050R (wireless)
Roku HD - N1000 (wireless)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hmm.. I just signed up for several channels. Archive.org seems to work great but the NASA streams reload every minute or so. Any ideas?
Nymrod
0 Kudos