Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jen81
Level 7

Not getting local news

Hi, I moved from another state, once I moved I’m still getting previous city’s local news. My billing and zip have been updated to current city but still am not receiving local news, please help!!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Not getting local news

How are you getting the news, what channel is providing that info? Different channels use different methods of determining your location. Sometimes it's info you provide them, such as your zip code. Others use your public IP address, which can be problematic at times. If your Internet provider is connecting you to the Internet somewhere that isn't close to you, it detects the wrong location.

I can give an example with my work computer. I have to VPN into the government network to access everything I need for work. But even though I'm in the Seattle area, the government routes my Internet access through a gateway in Oklahoma City. So I see all sorts of web based ads that assume I'm in OKC, rather than where I'm really located. If your provider is doing something similar, that might explain it. Even my home Internet connection doesn't place me in quite the accurate location. It tends to think I'm about 50 miles away from where I actually am. Again, it's all based on your public IP address, and you have no control over that.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos