Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Not able to connect to channels

Hello,  We have had issues for the past two weeks trying to watch Netflix or Hulu on our Roku TV's. Everything works fine during the day but in the evening we get error messages when trying to watch anything. I have checked on the internet side and all is good with the internet. We are able to watch the same stuff on our phones or computers but not through Roku. Are there any issues going on right now? 

Please help. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Not able to connect to channels

Nothing that I'm aware of. I'm on YouTube at the moment with no issues. And I used CBS AA a couple of days ago in the late afternoon-early evening. 

The fact it appears to be time-of-day based sounds suspiciously like a server issue on the providers side. The major providers use different servers to stream to different players, so a Fire TV Stick might work fine while a Roku or Shield has issues. Especially if the servers get hit with a Denial of Service attack. Those can really have specific targets, and nothing can be done from the user's end.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your input. I am the internet provider and have not found anything on our servers that would cause this issue. I have also consulted with our engineer and he has not found anything either. I will pass on the information about the Denial of Service attach and check that. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Cool job Smiley Very Happy

I wasn't referring to the ISP servers, but instead the content providers. They are the ones that use different server farms for different devices. Now if you have an internal server that acts as a proxy for the provider (I believe Netflix does that in some cases, perhaps others), then there shouldn't be any issues within your firewall. I wouldn't think a DoS attack would cause a problem for internal connections. But those annoying idiots always seem to find ways to disrupt things...

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos