Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Not able to access acorn TV ON ROKU3

Ok. I’m fed up. I can’t get support from Roku or acorn or xfinity.

i have an acorn TV  subscription through xfinity , my internet:’/ cable provider. I cannot use my Xfinity logon to use the acorn TV on my Roku 3 players. Acorn implies that my Roku players are too old, but does  not give me any other advice. Roku doesn’t even provide email support anymore, so I don’t know what to do, which one I need, whether I really need one. This is just crazy. the app is thete on my channels . I put my xfi ID and password in, says error. XFINITY says it should work. What the **bleep** am I supposed to do? is there any advice out there?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Not able to access acorn TV ON ROKU3

4/22/2020:  I have the same problem.  Was prompted for Acorn email and PW, which I entered but was told there was an error.  I did this twice.  I can watch Acorn on my desktop but not via Roku device connected to my TV.  I'm using FIOS to get to the internet on my TV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It’s really a simple, stupid problem. Here’s the deal. After wasting my time, between the idiots at Xfinity, roku and Acorn, receiving multiple dumb emails from all of them, it was obvious. In my case, I took out my subscription through Xfinity, my local cable/ internet provider. With Xfinity, it is accessed as an on demand only feature, not a separate app. It works well, but it’s not an app, like For instance, Prime  video and Netflix through Xfinity’s app section. but here’s the catch. As you noted, you can’t use your cable provider login ID to use the acorn TV app on a roku player. I assume that will also be the case with a chrome stick or fire stick,

With Xfinity, you can use the Xfinity stream roku app to access it. the Xfinity stream app, however, often doesn’t allow access to certain channels, when away from your home internet. I have  a second home, but  I won’t be able to test it, until Im there., being in corona  lockdown mode, I don’t anticipate being out there for a month or two. So, in the end, you have a choice. Either cancel your cable provider account and take out one through a  streaming gizmo, like roku. and watch acorn TV wherever you have roku players, or keep your cable provider account, but not be able to use your roku acorn app.

If you contact any of these idiots, they’ll just bounce you around like a pinball. Danny st roku, however, was the only honest employee to conform what became  obvious to me,

let me know if you received and understood these comments. If, by some miracle, you figure out another solution, Im all ears, but I’m quite certain that these are your choices,

as I see it, it’s a way for xfinity to keep you from using streaming gizmos and centralize everything onto their platform.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi Stevenk734,

Thanks for your suggestions.  My Acorn account was created on the Acorn site--not on Roku--so I was using an Acorn login to access Acorn via my Roku3 device.  Yesterday my two attempts to log on were unsuccessful.  So, I was going to delete Acorn from the Roku apps and reenter it so see if that would fix the problem.  In the meantime I watched Acorn on my desktop.  Today when I selected the Acorn app from all the Roku displays, it streamed fine without having to enter a logon and password.  Think there must have been a poltergeist at work!  Actually, I think it was because I had Xfinity/Comcast service when I began using the Roku3 but switched to FIOS last summer when it became available in my area.  Some of the apps transferred over OK but I hadn't streamed any programs from Acorn for a while--probably since I switched providers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have a current paid subscription to Acorn TV through Roku.  It was working fine until this afternoon.  I cannot access my shows.  It says I have a subscription through Roku and to enter the same information which I don’t know what that means.  I tried deleting the Acorn channel, but the interface switches from “remove channel” to “manage subscriptions” when I hit the “Options”.  Can’t make any calls to either Roku or Acorn.  They are closed for now.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Jnaninvegas 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Acorn TV support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Acorn TV support here: https://support.acorn.tv/en/support/home

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Not able to access acorn TV ON my onn. TV

I have a current subscription to Acorn TV thru Roku on my onn. TV. When I go to Acorn on home screen and hit * it says my subscription is current. When I select Acorn from home screen and it loads, It won't take my email or password even though they are correct. It says I have to subscribe even though I HAVE a current subscription.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Not able to access acorn TV ON my onn. TV

Hi Harry3,

My suggestion is to contact both Acorn and Roku.  In my case I believe my problem was triggered by switching from Comcast to Verizon (FIOS) as that's when my trouble began.  My Acorn subscription had been initiated directly on the Acorn site, and I was always able to watch Acorn via my desktop computer.  It was only when I attempted to access Acorn on my TV via Roku that I had a problem after changing to FIOS.  I even tried deleting the Acorn app from the Roku device and readding the channel.  After complaining and threatening to cancel my Acorn subscription, one day Acorn suddenly worked via my TV, and I hadn't done a thing.  Given that experience I believe it was a software glitch that Acorn corrected.  

0 Kudos