Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound on some downloaded files

I have a Roku 3 and so far it's been working great. But I ran into a problem when I plugged my Passport in and tried to play downloads. Some play ok and others have video but no sound. A recent example is I bought the BluRay of Hostiles and downloaded the DVD to my laptop and transferred it to the Passport. The movie plays great when I plug the passport into the laptop and then output directly to the tv with the HDMI. But when playing thru the Roku 3 it has a great HD pix, but no sound. I've tried everything I could think of, but this one's stumped me. Some programs I downloaded play fine on the computer, but not the Roku. Others are fine. Any ideas.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: No sound on some downloaded files

Roku players only support a couple of audio codecs, most commonly used is AAC and AC3. And of course your TV has to support both or you don't get sound. AC3 is no problem, since that's the TV broadcast standard in North America, and probably most of the world. See this page for the exact specifications of supported media. Notice that the container matters as well.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

Re: No sound on some downloaded files

Either download mediainfo or play it in VLC player to see what codec it has, then use one of the many methods to make it right. 
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos