Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZeroPoint
Level 7

No sound from movies played with Media Player on some TV's?

OK I have a ROKU Ultra and I am trying to play some home movies recorded in .H264 format, they are copied to a USB flash drive and plugged into the ROKU, then I use the ROKU Media Player to play them, they will play fine and sound fine on my ROKU box hooked to a LG TV with a LG soundbar but I wanted to share them with my sister who also has a ROKU Ultra but uses a Samsung TV with no sound bar, when played there using the same drive they have no sound, I have tried all the audio settings on the ROKU and TV and still no sound, I made sure all updates were current and am out of ideas, any suggestions?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: No sound from movies played with Media Player on some TV's?

What model number is your Ultra, and what model number is her Ultra? The Ultra from 2016 is different from the one from 2017. Doesn't necessarily matter when you bought them, as some stores will sell old stock. Which model number Ultra are you talking about?

Also, confirm the version of the software on each Roku, both the Roku's firmware (both yours and hers) and the Roku Media Player software version (yours and hers). "Latest" isn't sufficient. Provide the version and build.

If the model numbers and the software are the same, have you tried playing the files from your Roku again? That would ensure nothing happened to the drive during transport.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 7

The roku has the ability to pass-through certain codecs. This means, the roku isn't technically able to intercept, modify, convert the stream as it outputs it through the hdmi cable. Because of this your end equipment (aka sink device) must support this pass-through. The roku has two styles of this. One of them is the DTS variety, the other is Dolby also known as AC3. These two codecs are unlike any other on the roku. Your ultra should also support dolby digital plus aka EAC3. With this it is possible for the roku to bitstream ATMOS in 7.1 channels. The roku must see your equipment and realize there is support or it will shift EAC3 to something else. All of this is likely over your head. That is okay. I will make it simpler. The roku can't decode AC3 or DTS. If you use a surround sound codec on your files to immerse you, these will usually require transcoding to work on a stereo only TV. AAC the roku can downsample to stereo on-the-fly to 2 channel stereo to match the TV. To make the files play on both devices, you would need the first track to be surround, the second audio track should be 2 channel stereo aac. Doing this the surround set would use the surround audio, the stereo set would use the stereo audio. There are programs to embed a second aac audio track by transcoding the first surround track and inserting into the container.
0 Kudos
ZeroPoint
Level 7

Thanks, all this is WAY over my head but my model # is 4660X2, will have to check on hers later, it's newer, I downloaded Handbrake, can you give suggested settings? I only need it to be in simple stereo so should I keep it .H264 ACC or use ACC passthru, and switch the audio output to Stereo?
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 7

Use MKVToolNix for this. Install it, open MKVToolNix GUI and drag and drop your video onto it. Have it not use the video stream, or captions or any other stream. Uncheck all stream but the audio and uncheck copy from the audio stream. This will convert to 2 channel AAC. Now tell it start remux and it will create an mkv with just the audio stream as AAC. Now close and restart MKVToolNix GUI so you start fresh. Take your original video and drag and drop it back. This time do not change anything. Leave all streams to copy. Now drag your new mkv you just created with AAC on too. This will let you combine them. Now click start remuxing and it will create a new mkv of these combined together. The first track original, the second track AAC stereo. MKVToolNix is a must have tool for Roku users. I mean its almost as required as having a spoon. Without it makes it hard to eat.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

With Handbrake, use an Apple TV preset. That'll work with Roku.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

it's most likely that your soundbar supports Dolby Digital+ and/or DTS, while her TV likely supports neither. No audio while the video plays is almost always due to an unsupported codec. And the Ultra 4660 cannot convert either audio to standard Dolby Digital. 
The latest versions of Handbrake also have Roku profiles available. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"atc98092" wrote:
...The latest versions of Handbrake also have Roku profiles available. 

Ah. Good to know. Now I don't have to refer people to use a competitor's presets.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos