Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeverson
Level 7

No compatible files found

I have a Roku 3 and a TCL Roku TV. I also have a FreeNas 11.0 for storage. I am running MiniDLNA to share files with the Rokus. However, when I browse to the share the Rokus say there are "No compatible files found". All my files are mkv files compiled by Handbrake using the Roku profiles. If I copy a file to USB, the Roku will play the file just fine. This means the files are compatible. Any idea why the Rokus can't find them?

Thanks
0 Kudos
10 Replies
fluke
Level 10

Re: No compatible files found

It might be that some character in the file name is not getting parsed correctly by either the Roku or when handed back to the ReadyMedia server.

Try renaming the file to something simple like x.mkv

You may also want to confirm you are using version 1.2.1 and also confirm that the ReadyMedia service has rights to read the file.  If you continue to have problems, try checking for any logs produced by the ReadyMedia service.
0 Kudos
jeverson
Level 7

"fluke" wrote:
It might be that some character in the file name is not getting parsed correctly by either the Roku or when handed back to the ReadyMedia server.

Try renaming the file to something simple like x.mkv

You may also want to confirm you are using version 1.2.1 and also confirm that the ReadyMedia service has rights to read the file.  If you continue to have problems, try checking for any logs produced by the ReadyMedia service.

It's not the file names. All files use standard "english" characters. Besides, there are 100s of files in that dir and it isn't seeing any of them. ReadyMedia has full access rights to the dir I am sharing. Using version 1.2.1 of what? Roku, ReadyMedia, FreeNas?
Thanks
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

Just saying, the roku plays them fine from usb, nothing wrong with roku. I'd be looking at the other items, specifically the media server. Is it transcoding to another format, or ??? I know nothing about that application, maybe need to ask on their forum.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
jeverson
Level 7

I got it working. I did some digging and found better instructions than what i found before for getting MiniDLNA running on FreeNAS. Not sure why they make it so difficult to set it up. You would think that once someone on their forum put together some decent instructions they would make an easy to find knowledge base article.

Anyway, looks like i'm good. The only files it doesn't see are the two new 4k files i made. I made those with the x265 codec, may have to redo them in x264_10bit. At least my kids can easily access their movies on their playroom Roku TV.

Thanks
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

I've said this here before, most problems involving dlna or media servers are not the fault of the roku player.
Glad its working. Stick to those few codec restrictions and you'll be good.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
jeverson
Level 7

"dgrace" wrote:
I've said this here before, most problems involving dlna or media servers are not the fault of the roku player.
Glad its working. Stick to those few codec restrictions and you'll be good.

Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case. My Roku 3 can see 1080p files coded in h.264 but won't play the audio. My Kodi box downstairs plays them just fine. Our TCL Roku TV doesn't appear to have this issue. It has played the few files I've tried without issue. Neither my Roku 3 or my Roku TV will recognize my 4K videos in h.265. Doesn't even see them let alone play them. So, Roku isn't entirely free of blame here. Right now I'm trying to decide which device to stick with as I'm tired of having to have different devices for different content. I have an nVidia Shield TV that I run the Kodi app on (this is not my Kodi box downstairs which is just Kodi). The nVidia Shield runs all my streaming apps and the Kodi app easily connects to my network shares (no DLNA needed) and plays all my files, even 4K. I was hoping to replace all our TVs with Roku TVs, but if I can't watch all my content with them, I will go with another solution, even if it costs a bit more. Roku needs a much friendlier network management solution using either SMB, CIFS, or even NFS (or all three). I am a network engineer at EMC so I don't mind putting in a little effort, that said, once I do, I expect it to work.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

> My Roku 3 can see 1080p files coded in h.264 but won't play the audio.
What audio codec are you using? The the Roku-3 cannot decode multichannel AAC. If AAC it needs to be stereo. If you need multichannel use dolby and Roku-3 will pass it to AVR or TV.
> Neither my Roku 3 or my Roku TV will recognize my 4K videos in h.265
Roku 3 never supported H.265.
You need to have a 4K product (Roku-4, Ultra, 4K RokuTV) to support 4K H.265
The Roku Media Player app will ignore files if it knows it can't play them.
0 Kudos
dtmancom
Level 7

"jeverson" wrote:
I got it working. I did some digging and found better instructions than what i found before for getting MiniDLNA running on FreeNAS. Not sure why they make it so difficult to set it up. You would think that once someone on their forum put together some decent instructions they would make an easy to find knowledge base articl

What was your solution?

I have two stand-alone Rokus that can see the mp3s on my media server, but the new RCL Roku TV says all the album folders have "no compatible media."
0 Kudos
mdsd77
Level 7

ok I have a question re: my two different TV's with built in Roku - apprciate any reply, thanks.
One Tv is a 4k scalable TCL 55
other
is an Insignia 29 (only 720p capable)

Both have the current Build of Roku what is it 8.1 ? I believe
Both have the same build of the Roku Media Player (RMP)  that is 4.1.1602   ** see attached RMP file capability Pictures

this is the TCL 55 4k capable

this is the Insignia 29 720p only

Here is the deal and I think the previous posts may have answered it....

on the TCL it will play up to H.265 (it says so on the RMP help page)
the Insignia the RMP say it will only play H.264 and .262 files
is this because the TCL (a Newer tv) is a 4k capable?

I did remove and reload the RMPlayer to see if it would update the Insignia 29 to play the h.265 files but it did not change.

thanks - oh by the way I bought a cheap 4TB WD Mycloud and it is recognizable by the RMPlayer and it plays movies - music etc...on the TV's throughout the house that have a roku.
because the WD Mycloud has a built in DLNA - but the WD Mycloud will not go thru PLEX at all (I think mine is a cheap old small version) but this option works as a DLNA player, the mycloud 4TB drive is a wireless device but we have it hooked up to the router and we download videos directly to the shared public video folder that all on the same network can access, even from outside the house across the coutry I have done so...
0 Kudos