Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

No Search Option on Roku Channels (Samsung smart TV)

I have a Roku Ultra connected to my Sony TV. The Roku Channels work as expected. I just bought a new Samsung Smart TV for my extra room and added Roku Channels app to it. The Roku Channel on my Samsung smart TV does not have a search option. In addition, some shows like Midsommer's Murders and Carol Burnett shows, which play beautifully on the old TV,  does not even show up on the new Samsung smart TV even though I use the same Roku account.

11 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: No Search Option on Roku Channels (Samsung smart TV)

Hi,

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that The Roku Channel functionality on a Samsung Smart TV may differ than the The Roku Channel on a Roku device, as for example: Premium Subscriptions are not available through The Roku Channel on Samsung Smart TVs.

See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/360007223934-how-do-i-get-the-roku-channel-

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It makes no sense to offer the Roku Channel on Samsung smart TVs if the available programming differs from the Roku Channel on other platforms. I should be able to watch the same programming on every TV in my house. Get with it, Roku.

Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Department: That is not an answer to the question "why is there no "search" icon on the Roku channel on the Samsung smart tv."  Are you supposed to spend hours looking through hundreds and hundreds of programs available in the hope that you will find the one you are looking for?  That makes no sense.

Level 7

Please see shagen's comment below:

That is not an answer to the question "why is there no "search" icon on the Roku channel on the Samsung smart tv." Are we supposed to spend hours looking through hundreds and hundreds of programs available in the hope that we will find the one we're looking for?

Highlighted
Level 7

Seriously? I just spent 30 minutes trying to figure out where the Search function was located. How can Roku not offer a search function on a brand new smart tv.

Highlighted
Level 7

Same question I asked 2-3 months ago but never got an answer other than the automated reply by “Danny” from the roku dept which apparently is triggered by certain words but doesn’t really respond to specific questions which would seem to show that Roku really doesn’t read user/customer queries. 

Highlighted
Level 7

That's so stupid!  No search function?  I thought more of Roku.

Highlighted
Level 7

I downloaded the Roku Channel on my Samsung Smart TV with excitement; all those tv shows and movies at my fingertips. Then I began to search ... What? ... no search option. Can't be. To have an app with hundreds or maybe thousands of shows and movies without a search function -- impossible.

So I logged onto my Roku account from my computer. Nothing mentioned about being able to search. Next, searched using "Roku channel search Samsung." That search brought me to the Roku Community. Finally some answers.

Well, everyone is perplexed as I am. No search function for the Roku Channel on the Samsung Smart TV. What is more amazing, Roku does not have the common courteously to let the Roku Community know why that is the case -- it is there but you need to do this or that to access it; is it just too impossible to program the app to include a search; is there some kind of legal issue; we're working on it and will keep you informed on our progress; etc.

So now I feel like I am in a library with millions of books but without an index system to find what I want. What do I do? I walk out of the library frustrated and confused. What did I do with the Roku Channel? I deleted it feeling frustrated and confused.

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@markdbell 

Thanks for the inquiry.

When you open the Roku Channel, have you tried pressing up on the remote to see if there is a Search function on the channel?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos