Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wengro
Level 7

No Screensaver Showing on Netflix Pause Screen

When I pause a movie/show  in the Netflix app, no screensaver starts on the pause screen. Neither the Netflix screensaver nor the Roku screensaver come on. It will sit on that screen for over an hour before it exits out to the previous selection screen, where after about 5 minutes the Netflix screensaver finally starts.

I imagine this could be quite bothersome for someone with a plasma or OLED TV as they would have to remember to back out of the episode or movie they are watching instead of just pausing it to avoid the TV sitting on one unchanging image for so long.

I'm not sure if this is a Roku issue or a Netflix issue, so just to be sure I will contact Netflix as well.

Anyone else experiencing this?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: No Screensaver Showing on Netflix Pause Screen

You didnt mention your Roku model # and firmware version: Settings/System/About

This matters because different models/firmware versions have different version/builds of the NF app (which have different behavior).

Apps that use their own screensaver control the screensaver behavior, and since NF provides its own screensaver, its controlling the behavior.

1)  Restart your Roku:  Settings/System/System restart/Restart - try again

2) Reinstall NF:  A) Remove NF B) RESTART ^^ C) Reinstall NF - try again

Otherwise, report this behavior to NF:  https://help.netflix.com/en

Wengro
Level 7

Thanks for your reply! You are absolutely right, I totally forgot that information in my original post - sorry about that!

I'm using a Roku Premiere 3920X, firmware version 10.0.0, build 4209-91. Netflix app version 5.0, build 98079421.

I tried deleting and re-installing Netflix and rebooting the Roku, but the issue persists.

I contacted Netflix right after my original post here and they claim they are "aware of the issue and working on a fix." Time will tell!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@Wengro wrote:

Thanks for your reply! You are absolutely right, I totally forgot that information in my original post - sorry about that!

I'm using a Roku Premiere 3920X, firmware version 10.0.0, build 4209-91. Netflix app version 5.0, build 98079421.

I tried deleting and re-installing Netflix and rebooting the Roku, but the issue persists.

I contacted Netflix right after my original post here and they claim they are "aware of the issue and working on a fix." Time will tell!

FYI, the correct reinstall order is:  1) Remove 2) Restart 3) Reinstall

(If you dont restart after removal, settings/cached data associated with the app are left behind and it wont be a clean re-install)

Regardless, if NF says they are aware of the issue and working on a fix, then hopefully an app update will work its way to (certain model) Rokus this week (try to check for updates every day between 12-3 PM ET).

0 Kudos
Wengro
Level 7

Should have been more specific, sorry. I did follow the correct procedure: remove Netflix, reboot, reinstall Netflix.

I'm not holding my breath for a fix this week, or even this month. I'll be happy if the next update addresses the issue, whenever that may come down the wire.

For now my solution has been to hit the back button instead of pause, which takes you out to the episode details/selection screen, where the Netflix screensaver does start after about 5 minutes.

Thanks for your replies and help!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

I'm genuinely surprised NetFlix acknowledged the issue - they must have a fix (update) close to ready - they generally avoid acknowledging issues for as long as possible.

0 Kudos
winbig
Level 7

0 Kudos
Wengro
Level 7

Pretty annoying, isn't it? Try to remember to hit the back button INSTEAD of (or AFTER you hit) the pause button. The screen saver will start if you're on the episode selection screen.

If you can find the time, let Netflix know you are experiencing the issue. Maybe if they hear from enough of us they'll actually fix it some day.

Netflix actually updated the app last week, but surprise, surprise - it did nothing to fix this issue.

0 Kudos