Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QMuzikDirektor
Reel Rookie

No Playback In Canada On Roku Channel

Brand new TCL 55 inch Roku TV here. I activated my account here in Canada and was able to start playback on the Roku Channel for It Follows in January. Today, when I hit Play, or Resume, the screen flashes and then nothing happens. 

I AM able to play Yellowbrickroad and Triangle, but several other movies and TV series I've tried result in the same "flash and then nothing" behavior. The fact that I'm unable to play a movie I WAS able to play earlier is quite strange.

I am not using a VPN or any other wacky stuff. The Roku Channel indicates that it is up to date. The router is showing everything working properly on my 1 gigabit up/down connection.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: No Playback In Canada On Roku Channel

@QMuzikDirektor

Thanks for the post.

Are you able to play any content on The Roku Channel? 

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
QMuzikDirektor
Reel Rookie

As noted in my original post, I can play a few things, but not most others, including a movie I was able to play before.

This is not a standalone Roku player. It's a TCL Roku TV.

I removed the channel, restarted the TV, and reinstalled the channel. Same behavior as before: when I press Play, the screen flashes, and nothing happens.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @QMuzikDirektor,

Thanks for the note.

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Does this happen on all movies/shows in The Roku channel or just one specific title? What is the title of the content that you are experiencing the issue with?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
QMuzikDirektor
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Since I'm again being asked questions which were answered in my original post, here is a screenshot of my original post

roku.png

0 Kudos
Poker_Dad70
Reel Rookie

There didn't seem to be a conclusion to this post. I've been having the same problem for years. 

I can't watch anything on ROKU Channel on my TCL TV. Or my ROKU Streambar. 

0 Kudos
waltmania
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem.  Does anyone have a solution?  It's supposed to work but doesn't.  Is it another case of a US company just not interested in their products working north of the 49th?

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@waltmania, does this apply to you?

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channels-viewing/Roku-Channel-Won-t-Play-Anything-At-All/m-p/833075/hi...

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Poker_Dad70
Reel Rookie

Hello,

No, I don't have a US based account.  And I bought both devices from BestBuy Canada.  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Poker_Dad70 @waltmania

Thanks for the posts.

It sounds like you may have created a Roku account that isn't located in your current region. If channels in your region are not available, it may indicate that your device is linked to an account that was created in a different region where that channel may not be offered by the channel provider. You'll want to make sure that you are using an internet connection located in the correct region when creating your account. You can check your IP address reported location by visiting www.whatismyip.com - If you see an issue, you'll need to contact your ISP to help resolve any issue.

We would recommend creating a new Roku account in your region. For more information about how to create a new account, visit our Support page here: How do I create a Roku® account? Once your new account is set up, try to perform a factory reset on your device and link it to your new account. For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos