Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dualeieio
Level 7

No JustWatch on Roku. JustWatch with: Amazon Fire or AndroidTV?

Hi All:

considering how JustWatch does not have a Roku channel, i'm considering getting a "Chromecast with Google TV" (an unfortunately long and unwieldy name) to use JUST for JustWatch.

it seems like a lot of fuss over one single search engine (JustWatch), but then again, these devices aren't that costly nowadays and since my Roku and everything else goes into an Onkyo AVR first, then on to my projector, it doesn't matter if i plug in one additional item via HDMI.

the question is:  how well does Chromecast with Google TV work?

will it be a pleasure to use JustWatch with Chromecast with Google TV on my system, or would it be another exercise in frustration?

people say that when you look up something on JustWatch, say a movie or show, it will then present you with all the channels and prices to watch that movie/show.  you then merely click the channel you wish to watch it on, and the JustWatch app takes you to that channel right away.

otherwise, on Roku, i'd have to use a browser on my phone or computer to search on JustWatch's site for a movie/show, then look through the list of channels that have that show/movie, remember the channel i want to watch it on, then go to my Roku and select that channel, then search for that show again on the channel, then watch it.

so the Roku option is much more cumbersome.  no one knows if JustWatch would eventually come out with a Roku channel but they haven't yet after quite a few years so it seems like they are not going to or at least in no hurry whatsoever.

may i ask if anyone has experience on this?  thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: No JustWatch on Roku. JustWatch with: Amazon Fire or AndroidTV?

@Dualeieio wrote:

Hi All:

considering how JustWatch does not have a Roku channel, i'm considering getting a "Chromecast with Google TV" (an unfortunately long and unwieldy name) to use JUST for JustWatch.

it seems like a lot of fuss over one single search engine (JustWatch), but then again, these devices aren't that costly nowadays and since my Roku and everything else goes into an Onkyo AVR first, then on to my projector, it doesn't matter if i plug in one additional item via HDMI.

the question is:  how well does Chromecast with Google TV work?

will it be a pleasure to use JustWatch with Chromecast with Google TV on my system, or would it be another exercise in frustration?

people say that when you look up something on JustWatch, say a movie or show, it will then present you with all the channels and prices to watch that movie/show.  you then merely click the channel you wish to watch it on, and the JustWatch app takes you to that channel right away.

otherwise, on Roku, i'd have to use a browser on my phone or computer to search on JustWatch's site for a movie/show, then look through the list of channels that have that show/movie, remember the channel i want to watch it on, then go to my Roku and select that channel, then search for that show again on the channel, then watch it.

so the Roku option is much more cumbersome.  no one knows if JustWatch would eventually come out with a Roku channel but they haven't yet after quite a few years so it seems like they are not going to or at least in no hurry whatsoever.

may i ask if anyone has experience on this?  thank you in advance.

I find (pun intended) Roku's search function to be pretty good whenever I use it, but of course its limited to participating services/apps.

I recommend 3 different streaming platforms for a host of reasons (not least of which is app availability), one of which is Android/AndroidTV based for the purpose of sideloading apps (if desired/necessary).

As far as the GCCWGTV goes, it has its share of problems and limitations (5Ghz connection problems for many being one of them).

If you want more opinions/reviews/etc of the GCCWGTV, you might try these two threads over at AVSforum:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/details-of-new-google-android-tv-dongle-sabrina-leaked.3150886/

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/chromecast-with-google-tv-what-works-what-doesnt.3176600/

0 Kudos