Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tg2
Level 7

No DirecTV app

The DirecTV app has been removed from Roku.  When i called DirecTV, they said since Amazon bought Roku, they removed the app since it competes with Prime.  Feels like an anti-competitive practice.  Roku should reimburse for my TV no longer working with my service provider

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: No DirecTV app

Roku does not remove a channel unless they violate their terms of agreement. That usually means offering content without having the legal right to do so. Only the channel developer can just remove a channel like that.

Amazon has not purchased Roku, so that isn't a true statement by DirecTV. They pulled the channel for whatever reason. To my knowledge, it was always considered a beta, and perhaps they have given up on it. But Roku had nothing to do with it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

Amazon didn't buy Roku -- Amazon sells their own Fire devices that compete with Roku, but nevertheless they still make their Prime Video app available on competing Roku devices and Roku carries the Prime app from their Amazon hardware competitor.

Since AT&T bought Directv a few years ago, Directv's support people are generally clueless about even their own systems.  Or you may have misunderstood what you were told.

What Directv app are you talking about?  I know of no such thing and I've been a Directv customer since 1997 and a Roku customer for 5 years or more.

It sounds like maybe you have a TV with built-in Roku (i.e. a "Roku TV"), with Directv connected to one of its HDMI input ports.  If you're not seeing Directv on your TV make sure you've got your TV's input setting on the HDMI port to which Directv is connected.  If it's still not visible make sure your Directv is turned ON and that the HDMI cable between the Directv and the TV is firmly secured at both ends.  It could be that the HDMI port on your set is not working.  Try another HDMI port if there is one.  HDMI cables have been known to fail also, so try a new cable. 

Roku just supplies the operating system for a "Roku TV", support for the set hardware itself falls on the manufacturer.

If the problem is with your Directv box, you'll have to get support through them, or try a forum specializing in satellite tv issues, like https://www.dbstalk.com/community/index.php

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@makaiguy is right. I was confusing the Xfinity beta channel with DirecTV. Now that I have that straight, I don't ever remember there being a DirecTV channel on Roku.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos