Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
serge800
Level 7

Re: No Atmos with Disney+? SERIOUSLY?!?!?!

Jump to solution

Maybe it's because i'm in Canada (Québec). If the Dolby app work fine with atmos, can i suppose my setup is good ?

I have de 9.2.0 os of Roku and v1.3 of Disney plus See picture below (sorry for the french)

1588176730733192110660688900222.jpg

1588176751371854621519987318297.jpg

15881767837394923477404153469694.jpg

15881768224252449110799583809520.jpg

0 Kudos
Cjcummings
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi

I am on the same versions as you for roku and Disney app.  

I also confirmed i am getting atmos for doctor strange.  I am in the United States.  Also here, only the english tracks has dolby atmos.  Other audio language audio tracks do not have it.1588200591996549794642.jpg

15882006130441799866358.jpg

0 Kudos
TJM4
Level 8

Jump to solution

I too bought the nVidia Shield. Supports both Dolby Atmos and Vision. I doubt Roku will ever support Dolby Vision. nVidia is faster to load and has better video quality (Codec related, I think). The remote is funky but I am used to it. 

nVidia is Android TV so it has another eco system of apps that are useful. Keeping the Roku for its ecosystem since I already own it. If I were to buy one box, it would be nVidia TV Pro. 

0 Kudos
putteringalong
Level 9

Jump to solution

I think that I have a new wrinkle to add to this discussion. I was getting ATMOS on Disney+ until last week. However, I didn't get ATMOS from VUDU nor Amazon Prime.

I added an EZCOOTECH splitter box  (Roku Premier+ --> splitter IN (switch set to 4K) --> splitter OUT (scaler switch ON) --> HDMI port on my Integra Amp. Changed my Roku Display setting from 1080p to 4K HDR 60

Now I get ATMOS from VUDU but not from Disney+

Also have received two firmware updates to my Roku (9.3.0) in the last four days

Removing the EZCOOTECH box from the configuration restores Disney+ ATMOS, but kills VUDU but this isn't practical for day-to-day viewing - requires unplugging and rerouting of HDMI cables and modification of Roku Display settings.

• Did a support chat with Disney+ and they said that the Roku Premier+ supports the app
  • I really don't understand why streaming services are tying display settings to sound protocols. They seem to me to be separate. Sound and display are two separate things and depending on the hardware in any system they should be supported separately
0 Kudos
putteringalong
Level 9

Jump to solution

My techy neighbor figured this out!

Used the upload firmware tool, and chose EZS INI EID 29 and then set EDID selector switch to COPY1 (from 4K)

30 years ago I can see me figuring this out, but time is taking it's toll - one of the first steps is to hold a paperclip and plug in the USB cable, fingers don't work that well.

Actually poking in the command requires pressing <shft-enter> before pressing the submit button.

Finally, I get ATMOS from both Disney+ and VUDU!!

HDMI Splitter Upgrade.PNG

0 Kudos
StormTrooper
Level 8

Jump to solution

How about Netflix, what's the hold up with atmos pass through for thr Netflix app? 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@StormTrooper wrote:

How about Netflix, what's the hold up with atmos pass through for thr Netflix app? 

That's completely under the control of Netflix.  It has nothing to do with Roku, because all of their current devices support DD+/Atmos.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Skippy555
Level 8

Why do Netflix and Disney+ Not Output Dolby Atmos on Streaming Stick+?

Jump to solution

So I've got a ShieldTV as well as my Roku Streaming Stick+

Disney+ is back outputting Atmos audio, but the Roku is still showing 5.1.

Disney list the Rokus as outputting Atmos

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=0e228117db6bc49860f3eacb13961992

"Y.. Disney+ supports up to 4k Ultra HD and Dolby Atmos for Roku depending on the specific capabilities of the device."

Netflix hasn't ever seemed to output Atmos. Checking something like Okja and that is only 5.1 over Dolby Digital+. On the Shield it's Atmos and there's many other shows in Atmos.

The stick is clearly capable of outputting Atmos as Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime Video works.

So why don't Disney+ and Netflix support Dolby Atmos on the SS+?

0 Kudos
Max79
Level 7

Re: Why do Netflix and Disney+ Not Output Dolby Atmos on Streaming Stick+?

Jump to solution

@Skippy555 wrote:

So I've got a ShieldTV as well as my Roku Streaming Stick+

Disney+ is back outputting Atmos audio, but the Roku is still showing 5.1.

Disney list the Rokus as outputting Atmos

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=0e228117db6bc49860f3eacb13961992

"Y.. Disney+ supports up to 4k Ultra HD and Dolby Atmos for Roku depending on the specific capabilities of the device."

Netflix hasn't ever seemed to output Atmos. Checking something like Okja and that is only 5.1 over Dolby Digital+. On the Shield it's Atmos and there's many other shows in Atmos.

The stick is clearly capable of outputting Atmos as Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime Video works.

So why don't Disney+ and Netflix support Dolby Atmos on the SS+?

Netflix does have atmos and it is encoded in DD+ , however netflix for some reason doesnt support roku for atmos, only 2 devices which work with atmos on netflix are XBOX and Apple TV  ( again Atmos is not a codec it is encoded in Digital Dolby + or Dolby TrueHD codecs) , atmos is just metadata present in one of these formats and NEtflix does support it but not on Roku while amazone prime and vudu do support on roku

0 Kudos
Max79
Level 7

Re: Why do Netflix and Disney+ Not Output Dolby Atmos on Streaming Stick+?

Jump to solution
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-stream-dolby-atmos-from-netflix-itunes-vudu-and-amazon/ this shows the devices and support for Atmos for different streaming services
0 Kudos