Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Amazon UHD Content through RokuTV (TCL 55p605)

I purchased a TCL 55P605 from BestBuy in hopes of watching some UHD content from the Amazon Prime streaming channel. There is a previous thread that stated this was a problem, but was then fixed. Has this changed again? I can confirm that the Vudu streaming app can play UHD content, but I am not able to see any UHD content from Amazon.
0 Kudos
17 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: No Amazon UHD Content through RokuTV (TCL 55p605)

My Sharp Roku TV has no problem with Amazon HDR. Don't know if it's something specific to the TCL models, or if something else is at play.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
gadrago
Level 7

UHD 4K content on Amazon displays as usual on my TCL-55P605.  You have to search for it in the category lines for the headings that specifically say 'UHD 4K'.  If you look at the category lines Movie Genres and TV genres, UHD 4k selections are the first entry.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"SyntaxMissing" wrote:
I purchased a TCL 55P605 from BestBuy in hopes of watching some UHD content from the Amazon Prime streaming channel. There is a previous thread that stated this was a problem, but was then fixed. Has this changed again? I can confirm that the Vudu streaming app can play UHD content, but I am not able to see any UHD content from Amazon.

As stated in post #3, 4K and 4K UHD / HDR content is kept separate from SD content for the same movies and series. It is normally a hunt to try and determine if some movies or series are available in 4k and/or 4K UHD. (Search for ORPHAN BLACK and you would have no indication that Seasons 1 and 2 are available in 4K UHD) Quite a frustrating UI experience. I can only guess that part of the reason is that Prime Video is not only a subscription model, but also offers content for rental and purchase with differing price points based on the video quality selected. That requires separate listings to manage rentals and purchases. But, even with that said, I can't see why a series or movie when searched for or upon entering the detail screen couldn't list out all stream qualities available and allow you to select the one appropriate for the device you are currently viewing from.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
stbaker
Level 7

I'm seeing a similar problem on my 55S405. No Amazon UHD content to be found.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"stbaker" wrote:

From the Prime Video home screen select ORIGINALS. The first row shows INCLUDED WITH PRIME: ORGINAL SERIES listings that if you scroll through should show a number of Prime Originals (Bosch, Sneaky Pete, The Tick, etc.) that show the ULTRA HD tag in the title. Second row down shows INCLUDED WITH PRIME: Original Movies in Ultra HD.

Are you not seeing these listings? 
0 Kudos
r_hardwick
Level 7

"blade_005" wrote:
"stbaker" wrote:

From the Prime Video home screen select ORIGINALS. The first row shows INCLUDED WITH PRIME: ORGINAL SERIES listings that if you scroll through should show a number of Prime Originals (Bosch, Sneaky Pete, The Tick, etc.) that show the ULTRA HD tag in the title. Second row down shows INCLUDED WITH PRIME: Original Movies in Ultra HD.

Are you not seeing these listings? 

I'm having the same issue with the TCL 55P605.  I understand what you are asking.  I remember having to search the way you are saying before this issue started back at the end of last year.  These titles aren't listed as HDR any longer.  I keep seeing roku staff say it's fixed, but it's not for me and it appears many others.
0 Kudos
stbaker
Level 7

I can see the listing, "Included with Prime: Original Movies in Ultra HD", but I **can't** see:
-- UHD banner on thumbnails under "Included with Prime: Original Series"
-- UHD banner on thumbnails under "Included with Prime: Original Movies in Ultra HD"
-- Any UHD content available for purchase. Movies that I've seen on Vudu available in UHD (Deadpool, Game Night, Black Panther, etc.) are only listed as being available in HD.

Interestingly, I **can** see the UHD banner for each individual episode for original series, along with "<Name of series> [Ultra HD]" in the headings as I scroll through original series.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"stbaker" wrote:
I can see the listing, "Included with Prime: Original Movies in Ultra HD", but I **can't** see:
-- UHD banner on thumbnails under "Included with Prime: Original Series"
-- UHD banner on thumbnails under "Included with Prime: Original Movies in Ultra HD"
-- Any UHD content available for purchase. Movies that I've seen on Vudu available in UHD (Deadpool, Game Night, Black Panther, etc.) are only listed as being available in HD.

Interestingly, I **can** see the UHD banner for each individual episode for original series, along with "<Name of series> [Ultra HD]" in the headings as I scroll through original series.

I am seeing the same labeling as you stated above at the thumbnail level, but once I drill down to the Season / Episode level I get the UHD label with HDR badge for individual episodes. I also get the HDR badge for movies once in the detail screen. ULTRA HD is listed in the Title for all of these, even at the thumbnail level. I checked under MOVIES - ULTRA HD MOVIES TO RENT OR BUY and Black Panther was listed with a UHD label.

Your post #5 in thread said no UHD content to be found. Or, did you mean that Amazon is just making it darn hard to find with their labeling and UI listings? I agree that it is a challenge to find UHD offerings that are a part of our subscription. It should be easier.
0 Kudos
stbaker
Level 7

Well, turns out I was mistaken. 

I initially thought there was no UHD content, but I just hadn't been paying attention. I see the UHD Prime Originals, as described below.

Then I thought there wasn't any UHD content to be bought (Black Panther, Deadpool, etc.), but I was also wrong about that. If I dig a bit, I see the same "Ultra HD Movies to Rent or Buy" listing that blade_005 mentions below.

Is there a way to get UHD content to come up in searches? If I search for "Black Panther", no UHD listing. If I search for "Black Panther UHD", no listings at all. Is there a specific syntax that I need to be using?

Also, why on earth does Amazon make it so hard to buy UHD content??
0 Kudos