Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Davmaur

No ATMOS streaming from Tidal

I signed up for Tidal today after finding that they were streaming music in ATMOS and was happy to see it available on my ROKU. I can get ATMOS through DD2 from Disney+ so I know my set up is capable of it. All I can get Tidal to output is pcm stereo no matter what I try. Has anyone overcome this?

10 REPLIES 10
tsanguine
Reel Rookie

Re: No ATMOS streaming from Tidal

Only compatible with Apple TV 4K, Amazon Fire TV (Stick 4K, Cube, 3rd-gen Stick), or the 2019 models of Nvidia’s Shield TV. It doesn't even work to bitstream from a PC using the Tidal Application. No support for Roku of any kind so far. 

Pmh6778

I am having the same issue. I have a Roku ultimate with a Vizio Atmos enabled soundbar. I have the Atmos title subscription so I know I am receiving Dolby Atmos. But when I use the app on Roku for title I am only getting PCM stereo. The Roku is connected directly via HDMI to the sound bar.

EliteAV
Reel Rookie

How is this functionality still not available? It's long overdue. 

EliteAV
Reel Rookie

When will Atmos on Tidal be supported by Roku? All the other appropriate apps can handle Atmos, please make it happen!!

McDT

I’m returning my newly purchased Roku Ultra as it does not support Tidal Dolby Atmos.  Although I have Roku through my home, I will have to buy either the Apple TV 4K or NVDIA Pro for my Home Theater.

EliteAV
Reel Rookie

I used to package a Roku Ultra in just about every high performance system that I design and install. 

Unfortunately I can no longer design high performance systems with Roku Ultras for streaming due to the lack of Atmos support with Tidal. 

Yazid
Reel Rookie

Ya, me also didn't get Dolby Atmos music from Tidal via Roku Ultra(only pcm stereo)... hv to by Fire tv stick 4k as recommended by Tidal in Dolby website. (With Netflix there is no issue) 

0 Kudos
Yazid
Reel Rookie

Ya, can it be just Roku update Tidal capable Dolby Atmos music streaming via their Firmware update. 

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Yazid wrote:

Ya, can it be just Roku update Tidal capable Dolby Atmos music streaming via their Firmware update. 

A firmware update wont update the Tidal app, though they could be linked (some apps/app versions are in fact - they are updated immediately following the firmware update, as the newer app version/build requires a newer firmware version/build)

The real limitation/issue with Tidal Atmos on Roku devices are how Tidal packages Atmos and the RokuOS itself. 

Tidal requires a HiFi Plus subscription in order to get Atmos, and HiFi Plus requires a device capable of 24-bit/192Khz playback for the highest quality.

Recent Roku hardware (e.g. Realtek RTD131x SoCs) is more than capable of 24-bit/192Khz playback, but RokuOS itself does not expose/allow that functionality via APIs/etc to apps.

(Ironically the Atmos content itself is streamed via EAC3/JOC (DD+/Atmos) and doesnt even use/require the 24-bit/192Khz playback, and all Roku devices going back several years are easily capable of such bitstreamed playback output, but due to how Tidal arbitrarily (not technically) links Atmos to HiFi Plus and its 24-bit/192Khz capable devices requirement, Roku devices are excluded)

This in fact limits all sorts of apps/content/scenarios on the Roku platform, most of which are high/higher/highest quality music/audio oriented (this includes all the highest playback levels of music services such as Amazon Music/Tidal/etc as well as user-provided content via local playback)

Roku would need to do a significant redesign of RokuOS itself, and that is unlikely to happen (Roku releases very incremental updates to RokuOS).  The good news: if that ever did happen, it would not only open the Tidal Atmos/HiFi Plus door fully, but the Amazon Music Ultra HD et al doors as well.

Again, the likelihood of any of that happening soon (within the next year or three) is very low, but you can always petition Roku:  https://community.roku.com/t5/Suggest-a-Feature/bd-p/Wishlist