Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newmax app does not have closed caption

No cc on Newsmax channel.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Newmax app does not have closed caption

I suspect you are referring to Newsmax. You need to contact Newsmax about the functionality of their channel on Roku devices. Roku does not create or support channels for 3rd party providers. The providers are responsible for the functionality of their channels. 

https://www.newsmax.com/contact/

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ccaron
Reel Rookie

You can find the closed captioning for NewsMax using the Roku Device by pressing -> button, you will then see an icon to the right that is highlighted, press enter and you will be in the closed captions option.

Patrick-M
Channel Surfer

Still does not work. No CC available on news max. Roku should do something about that.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Patrick-M wrote:

Still does not work. No CC available on news max. Roku should do something about that.

Nothing Roku can do about it. They don't design and offer the channel. You have to take it up with the channel provider. 

Dan

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Patrick-M 

Two step method required if you are using the Newsmax Channel/app.

1. Enable Closed Captioning on the Roku device.  Can be done while streaming any content, press the * button on your remote, select "Closed Captioning", then "Always On" (if using a Roku device, otherwise can select "on Mute" if using RokuTV).

2. Within the Newmax Channel/app you need to Enable Subtitles.  While in the Newmax Channel/app, with content playing, press the Down arrow button to bring up the info overlay banner.  Then press the Right arrow button to select the Audio/Subtitle Menu, and then select "English" (make sure you see a checkmark), and then select "Confirm".

----

Otherwise, you can watch Newsmax on the Roku Channel LiveTV ch.190, and as long as you have your Closed Captioning enabled, you can see CC there.

[Edited/added]  I did notice that Newsmax channel/app does not save the setting so you will need to enable the subtitle option each time.  I usually just watch it through Rumble, but no CC there, so if you need CC, either enable it each time through the channel/app or try watching it on the Roku Channel (190).  It is only a couple of button presses via the channel/app, so not much of a deal to enable it.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
SJW3
Reel Rookie

I tried pushing the down arrow while in the newsmax plus app and nothing happens. I'm trying to get subtitles, and doing everything you say, but it's not working. Sometimes they're on and sometimes not!

0 Kudos
atc98092

@SJW3 are you pressing the down pad while a video is playing? I don't think it does anything unless that's the case. 

Dan

0 Kudos