Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blaise
Level 7

New owner Amazon suggestion

Just bought the Roku player - what a sweet gadget!

Maybe I'm missing something, but I wish the functionality with Amazon rentals was more like Netflix ... the trouble is finding the videos you want.

I can see that when you rent or purchase a video from Amazon on their web site, the item goes into your media library which is accessible from the Roku interface. That works great for *purchases* - there is no time limit on them. But for rentals, the 24-hour clock starts right at that point.

I think it would be most excellent to have an Amazon rental list. So, like the Netflix Instant queue, you could search for the titles you want to rent and make a list of them. Then it would be great to access that list in the Roku box and select a rental from it any time you like. When you made such a selection, it would be copied to the media library and start the rental clock (as if you had purchased it on the Amazon web site). So it would be ... Search for what you want on the Amazon web site - manage the list - watch at your convenience.

Another possibility might be to provide a rudimentary seach function in the Roku interface so one could find what they wanted among Amazon offerings (say by title or actor).

Without something like the above, you either have to:

1) just keep "thumbing" through the scads of Amazon titles in the Roku interface (hard because there are many THOUSANDS)

2) go to a PC to find what you want and buy the rental AT THE MOMENT you decide to watch, which limits the convenience

Like I said, I like the product a lot - I'd just like to see it a bit easier to find and rent what I want, when I want it!

Cheers all!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Anonymous
Level 8

Re: New owner Amazon suggestion

I suggested a queue for Amazon videos during the beta test for it. Still have not seen or heard anything if that feature is coming.
0 Kudos
Blaise
Level 7

Hi Bill,

Thanks for responding.

They do have the "media library", so Roku may have felt that this list was sufficient. But obviously, I don't think so Smiley Wink

I contacted Amazon about this, and they agreed that a list like the Netflix Instant Watch list would be a good idea. They seemed aware of the issue, which I think may indicate that they have gotten similar feedback from others ... I suppose they could have been patronizing or placating me, but it did not seem that way.

Anyway, I guess we'll see ... enjoy the rest of the weekend ...
0 Kudos
The_Old_Man
Level 7

There is a "suggestion" thread at the top of the forum.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

I think that Roku would be happy to add a "watch later queue", but I think I Amazon has to offer the feature first. That's where the information comes from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
Blaise
Level 7

kc8pql - you have proved to be prescient! Look what I just got in an email from Roku !!

Tip: Watch rentals later with Amazon Video On Demand
Don't have time to watch a rental immediately but know you'll watch it in the next 30 days? Amazon Video On Demand now offers a great option!

Follow these steps:
On your computer, browse Amazon Video On Demand something great to rent.
Click the rental purchase button.
On the next screen, click Watch later.

The rental's now in your Video Library. You have 30 days to watch it!

It's not exactly what I had in mind - you pay for the rental when you put it in the Video Library. It would be better to just have a simple list, and pay only when you watch it, but this is a step in the right direction!

Cool!
0 Kudos
rbb5denver
Level 7

24 hour rental limit

Seriously! A 24 hour limit to watch your movie rental is absurd! Think about it, you sit down to watch a movie at a reasonable hour, say 8 PM. You get interrupted and can not finish the movie. You go to work the next day, come home, have dinner, put the kids in bed, and oh no, you can’t watch your movie again at 8 PM because the 24 hour clock has expired. F-you movie industry! Does anyone is the movie industry think about the customer, or is it merely about greed? Maybe pirating movies is the way to go?
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: 24 hour rental limit

"rbb5denver" wrote:
Seriously! A 24 hour limit to watch your movie rental is absurd! Think about it, you sit down to watch a movie at a reasonable hour, say 8 PM. You get interrupted and can not finish the movie. You go to work the next day, come home, have dinner, put the kids in bed, and oh no, you can’t watch your movie again at 8 PM because the 24 hour clock has expired. F-you movie industry! Does anyone is the movie industry think about the customer, or is it merely about greed? Maybe pirating movies is the way to go?

You ressurrected a 10 year old thread! NO!

Anyway, don't rent a movie if you know you can't finish it in 24 hours.. if something happens, contact the company and they should be able to refund you.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos