Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vnazario
Level 8

New channels???

Hello:

Roku used to post new channels at least twice a week but now it seems mostly on Friday's.  However, the last two weeks only SundanceTV and YoutubeTV?  I wonder why the slowdown in channels.  I prefer this over constant PD, religious and niche channels but certainly something worth noticing.  My guess is that Roku is no longer accepting channels made with the original SDK template or Instant Roku Channel template platform so not many other people have access or know how to use the new current SDK platform but I would like to hear what you guys think.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
0 Kudos
3 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: New channels???

I think they have most of the useful services out there. I mean, eventually you have the majority of everything available and the amount of new channels slows.
0 Kudos
OddScott
Level 7

Roku is definitely accepting new channels built using Instant TV Channel, as well as updates of SDK1 channels converted to SceneGraph. I haven't personally noticed a slow down in new channels, but Roku has been getting stricter with their certification testing, requiring developers to go back and change artwork, tweak deep-linking settings, or adjust other parameters in order to meet new requirements. This is stretching out the development time-line, and might be discouraging some developers from putting together additional channels.

You mentioned "Instant Roku Channel template platform". When Instant TV Channel generates an RSG Pkg file it does not use a template, instead it allows developers to assemble & configure different components together into a complete Roku channel. For example compare NASA Channel and Engineer Guy - both were made using Instant TV Channel, but they clearly are not made from the same template.
www.InstantTvChannel.com - Build a Roku channel in 5 minutes!
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"vnazario" wrote:
Hello:

Roku used to post new channels at least twice a week but now it seems mostly on Friday's.  However, the last two weeks only SundanceTV and YoutubeTV?  I wonder why the slowdown in channels.  I prefer this over constant PD, religious and niche channels but certainly something worth noticing.  My guess is that Roku is no longer accepting channels made with the original SDK template or Instant Roku Channel template platform so not many other people have access or know how to use the new current SDK platform but I would like to hear what you guys think.

I have noticed this too over the last year or so. Compared to other devices, Roku is still by and large ahead of the curb as far as their updating software/firmware and overall channel selection.  I personally keep hoping that Roku will get the Facebook video app eventually. Normally I wouldn't care so much about that, but it has become a requirement for me to have access to the app. (I'm a Boxing writer and a lot of promoters around the world are starting to turn to Facebook to stream their events.) I have to use another device in the meantime for access to that app, but obviously, I'd like to have access to it via Roku if I had my choice.
As far as what's going on with the slowdown in channels, I'm unfamiliar from a technical standpoint as to what you're talking about with regard to channel formats, etc. (A little out of my area of expertise.), but I would assume that the newer channels/apps are going to have a similar look and feel across all devices in time and that the decision about which device or devices to buy will boil down to what the user will want in terms of a technical aspect of things.
0 Kudos