Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BarryL
Level 7

New TVs/Devices because of ROKU!

I'm chiming in because I have been a loyal ROKU customer ever since I canceled Verizon FIOS TV years ago. Starting with buying 3 ROKU Premium+ devices. Initially I tried SlingTV, then YouTubeTV came along and offered more for less. I tried at least 3 other TV streaming services along the way. Also an advid VUDU and Netflix user, and Amazon Prime Video user. I have 4TVs, 4 ROKU devices. If YouTubeTV no longer works with my ROKU, I'll need to buy 3 Chromecast devices (1 TV has Chromecast), or 3 new Chromecast/Android TVs. But then, new remotes, or switching TV inputs, etc. I'm aware of the Corporate finger pointing on money, etc. I don't care. Whatever you do ROKU, the end result needs to be, continue your feature of integrating all popular streaming services, including YouTubeTV. If not, my ROKU devices become obsolete as do I, a long term ROKU customer. #YouTubeTV #ROKU

3 Replies
DBDukes
Level 16

Re: New TVs/Devices because of ROKU!

@BarryL wrote:

... Initially I tried SlingTV, then YouTubeTV came along and offered more for less. ...

For less?

YouTubeTVprice.pngSingTVprice.png

So, 65 < 35? Here on my planet, math doesn't work that way.

DBDukes
https://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos
BarryL
Level 7

@DBDukes wrote:

@BarryL wrote:

... Initially I tried SlingTV, then YouTubeTV came along and offered more for less. ...

For less?

YouTubeTVprice.pngSingTVprice.png

So, 65 < 35? Here on my planet, math doesn't work that way.

Tried SlingTV. Youtube TV has infinite recording. Thats worth 65, but it was 49. If YouTubeTV goes higher, I'll try SlingTV again. Reflecting, every network now charging viewing fees/subscriptions...maybe I'll go back to BluRay disks and an Antenna.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 16

@BarryL wrote:

Tried SlingTV. Youtube TV has infinite recording. Thats worth 65, but it was 49. If YouTubeTV goes higher, I'll try SlingTV again. Reflecting, every network now charging viewing fees/subscriptions...maybe I'll go back to BluRay disks and an Antenna.

Not being argumentative, but actually asking for my own knowledge. If you're recording a lot of content,  and watching that way, how is that different than on-demand watching, such as you get from the $6/month (or $12/month ad-free) Hulu service? Sure, if the show's available on Hulu, I get that, but that depends on what you watch, right? So, this is an honest question: what's the difference?

As for an antenna, that is actually a great idea, if you are close enough to the towers. I'm far enough away that I need a big outdoor antenna, but I can watch OTA local/network channels.

I do have recording capabilities from that via AirTV -- a family member has Tablo TV and it's great -- but I rarely use that, as I watch via Hulu on-demand. 

Of course, my watching tastes and habits aren't yours, so what works for me might not work for you. I get that. But I am curious as to what YouTube TV brings to a DVR situation that can't be done with other, cheaper, on-demand services.

DBDukes
https://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos