Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Huskerfan
Level 9

New Rooku owner..advice/suggestions on progamming

New here, and new to Roku (I purchased the basic Roku Express). Right now using the free programming that I have been enjoying as I do my homework in figuring out what pay services I plan to use (probably will go with Netflix and right now between Hulu and DirectTv Now...leaning towards Hulu).

There a way to get international programming (IE.from England, Australia, and so forth) or out of market over the air stations.

Any suggestions towards programming selections based on personal experiences.  Both fee related and free variety.

I enjoy the classic tv (over the air local I usually  watch AntennaTV and METV), sports, news junkie

Right now watching lot of the Tubi and other claasic type programs

Thanks in advance 

Huskerfan 
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Basil
Level 10

Re: New Rooku owner..advice/suggestions on progamming

Foreign content: https://channelstore.roku.com/browse/international

OTA? Unless they're part of a streaming package supported where you are (DirecTV Now, Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, Hulu with Live TV, YouTube TV, Philo) it's not likely.

I find that for movies, Netflix is unbeatable. For current season TV, Hulu is tops. For sports, a live streaming package that includes ESPN (all listed above except Philo) is a must. As for a live streaming package, I've used all the above listed, and they all work reasonably well. Any of them could experience delays and buffering issues, which is not that unusual with live stream services.

If sports is important, let that be the deciding factor on the Live Streaming service you pick. If Live Streaming is not that important (standard Hulu works for me; the only live content I care about is sports) then get the cheapest that includes ESPN.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos