Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
junkmail
Level 8

New Roku box. WTF Netflix auto preview?

My old Roku 2 box worked fine except when I watch NBC News channel it would buffer during every advertisement, making them take 2 times as long.
So I just updated! to a faster new Roku box. Yay.. faster ads! (Snore)
 Now there is this ANNOYING Netflix auto preview (Arg!) that I can't turn off. It wasn't there on my old Roku box. Is my only option to return the new Roku box and go back to my old one? Yes I do have a remote with a mute button but I would rather just go back to my old Roku box. Or is there somebody who can supply a fix to use the new faster speed box with the old Netflix interface? 
This is so annoying, I will either return the new Roku box or quit Netflix. Now I hear Netflix may be thinking about putting up advertising in place of the auto preview. Reminiscent of the the Netflix Black Mirror episode "Fifteen Million Merits" about the future where you are forced to watch advertising. I will pay Roku or Netflix extra as a "Premium Subscriber" to have "auto-mute". I am a visual person and I absolutely can't tolerate the audio control that they have taken away from me. It is like static in the background. I hate it. Rant rant rant.
10 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: New Roku box. WTF Netflix auto preview?

"junkmail" wrote:
My old Roku 2 box worked fine except when I watch NBC News channel it would buffer during every advertisement, making them take 2 times as long.

So I just updated! to a faster new Roku box. Yay.. faster ads! (Snore)

Now there is this ANNOYING Netflix auto preview (Arg!) that I can't turn off. It wasn't there on my old Roku box. Is my only option to return the new Roku box and go back to my old one? Yes I do have a remote with a mute button but I would rather just go back to my old Roku box. Or is there somebody who can supply a fix to use the new faster speed box with the old Netflix interface? 

This is so annoying, I will either return the new Roku box or quit Netflix. Now I hear Netflix may be thinking about putting up advertising in place of the auto preview. Reminiscent of the the Netflix Black Mirror episode "Fifteen Million Merits" about the future where you are forced to watch advertising. I will pay Roku or Netflix extra as a "Premium Subscriber" to have "auto-mute". I am a visual person and I absolutely can't tolerate the audio control that they have taken away from me. It is like static in the background. I hate it. Rant rant rant.

First, understand that Netflix, not Roku, built the app. Netflix designed it that way. That’s not a bug, it’s an intentional feature that you and I both dislike.

Next, why didn’t you get that before? That’s easy. The older Roku 2, model 2720, did not support the new app. It had the older app, because that’s all it would run. The older app doesn’t include this feature.

No, you can’t use the old app on modern Roku devices. Why not? Netflix said so.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
junkmail
Level 8

Thanks for the comment. I don't really care who's fault this is. It is simply intolerable. Either the Roku goes or Netflix goes. Now that I think of it I could be outside in the polar vortex cold weather having less stress. Maybe I will bring back the Roku AND cancel Netflix. Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"junkmail" wrote:
Thanks for the comment. I don't really care who's fault this is. It is simply intolerable. Either the Roku goes or Netflix goes. Now that I think of it I could be outside in the polar vortex cold weather having less stress. Maybe I will bring back the Roku AND cancel Netflix. Smiley Very Happy

You can toss the Roku, but replace it with what?

You can get an Amazon Fire TV. Netflix behaves the same way. Because Netflix built the Amazon app, and that's how Netflix wants the app to work.

You can get an Apple TV. Netflix works the same way. Because Netflix build the Apple TV app, and that's how Netflix wants the app to work.

You can get an Nvidia Shield, or another Android TV device. Netflix works the same way. Because Netflix built the Android app, and that's how Netflix wants the app to work.

The only devices that will use the older Netflix apps are older devices.

Them's the facts. I'm just giving it to you straight.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

It's an annoying feature. But if you keep moving through the menus, the auto start doesn't have time to ramp up and start. Go into the app knowing what you want to watch, and it's at most 3 seconds of annoyance. Since it's unlikely that Netflix will be changing it anytime soon, I've decided to not let it bother me - certainly not to the point of getting rid of my Roku. 
0 Kudos

Just drop Netflix and get on with life. I did. I haven't seen anything on Netflix in going on two years. Plenty of other options.
0 Kudos
junkmail
Level 8

"scottypie1234" wrote:
Just drop Netflix and get on with life. I did. I haven't seen anything on Netflix in going on two years. Plenty of other options.

That's my thought at the moment. I did that with cable many years ago. I still remember how overjoyed I was to turn in that box. 500 channels of bobblehead attractors and advertisements galore.
Has anybody had success with Alexa? Logitech Harmony? If I could just say "Alexa MUTE" or "Alexa UNMUTE" I could handle it.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I've dropped Netflix at the end of my current bill. Should be next week. The auto preview annoys me greatly, but I can't say it was a significant reason for me to cancel. What pushed me over the edge was the recent price increase when they just don't have much I'm interested in watching anymore. Have zero interest in their original programming, and much of what I used to watch is no longer available. Since we watched Netflix so seldom, it was just a waste of money.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

What's annoying about Netflix, and some people might say the opposite, is that there's TOO much original programming.. it's impossible to track what is new, what anything is about, if it's a movie or a series, and it's just a mess, to me.

What really, really ticks me off about Netflix is that they got rid of their star rating system, because in my opinion, they didn't want people showing their true opinions of Netflix's original programming. I don't like that all I get is a "percentage match" when I'm browsing the titles.. that only tells me that I might be interested in the content, but it gives me no indication what other viewers rated it. I HATE that.

Probably gonna drop Netflix and just subscribe sporadically, when there's something I need to see.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"junkmail" wrote:
Has anybody had success with Alexa? Logitech Harmony? If I could just say "Alexa MUTE" or "Alexa UNMUTE" I could handle it.

There is only limited support with Google Home, none with Amazon/Alexa. If you want a device to use Alexa to mute, a Fire TV device might be your best bet.

As for Logitech Harmony, you can certainly program that to mute your TV.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos