Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DubTaylor
Level 10

New Plex App will NOT return Home...

I have grown accustomed to the Roku returning home (to the CLOC Screensaver) after a time of being idle (I'm asleep by then and fairly idle).

The NEW Plex App for Roku will NOT return home... ever. Yes, I should post this on Plex's forum, but that would be like having a conversation with a red brick. The last thing Plex is concerned about is user dissatisfaction in their product. 

Perhaps if Roku denies approval for their app they'll be more inclined to fix it and the clock is ticking because on June 3 the old app that WILL return home is being yanked in favor of this new nightmare they've developed.

There could be more ways to skin this ocelot, but I haven't thought of any yet so we'll try this way.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

Re: New Plex App will NOT return Home...

"DubTaylor" wrote:
I have grown accustomed to the Roku returning home (to the CLOC Screensaver) after a time of being idle (I'm asleep by then and fairly idle).

The NEW Plex App for Roku will NOT return home... ever. Yes, I should post this on Plex's forum, but that would be like having a conversation with a red brick. The last thing Plex is concerned about is user dissatisfaction in their product. 

Perhaps if Roku denies approval for their app they'll be more inclined to fix it and the clock is ticking because on June 3 the old app that WILL return home is being yanked in favor of this new nightmare they've developed.

There could be more ways to skin this ocelot, but I haven't thought of any yet so we'll try this way.

Actually there have been a rather large number of complaints about the change that Roku made some time ago that would force exit an app if it were idle for a period of time. I was one of those that complained due to the fact that I used the Plex app to play audiobooks and when I would pause them for a time I had ti restart the playback. This made it quite hard to use the Roku the way I wanted to.
If Roku has truly changed the behavior so an app is not forced to exit it would make me reconsider using one of my Rokus for audiobooks. But I think that Plex may be forced to restore the activity you want because actually allowing the users to choose, which would be the best for users in both camps, is alien to both Plex's and Roku's base philosophy that the user is too stupid to know what they actually want or need.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Yep, I hear ya, loud and clear.

I hated the auto-jump-home feature at first myself, but after a few days of waking up to the CLOC/Weather Screensaver, I got over it.

If complaining on Roku Forums could get 'Movie Reviews' out of the Plex app, I'd try it, but I fear the chances of that are pretty slim.

Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

"DubTaylor" wrote:
If complaining on Roku Forums could get 'Movie Reviews' out of the Plex app, I'd try it, but I fear the chances of that are pretty slim.

Not too long ago I finally completed my final switch from Plex to Emby as I found that the Plex devs were just impossible to deal with and less responsive than my ex wife. The friendliness exhibited by the Plex folks would be exceeded by that shown by a hungry rattlesnake and you would get better conversations with the snake.
But having said that I have never seen any movie reviews in Plex, or Emby for that matter. It might be the way I use Plex and Emby as I just go into either "On Deck" (Next up in Emby) or the library I want to play from and navigate to an interesting video of my choice and press "Play" to play it. I do not want a machine making any recommendations as I am quite able to decide what I want to watch without help. 
Emby is, in my belief, superior to Plex for what I want from a media manager but I used Plex for several years and, as I said, virtually never saw any reviews.
One more thing: I have found that the Roku app for Emby, and Plex if I remember correctly, has failed to get better even though it has gone through several changes. However the Android app for Emby has changed a lot and is now both easier for me to use and has more customization available particularly of my Fire TV 4K and my Shield TV. (I mainly use the Shield.) If you are approaching you frustration limit on the Roku you might want to give an Android based box a try. The various Fires are quite cheep at this time. I use the Shield now for all my local playback but I keep the Roku active because I prefer the Sling's, NHL's and ESPN's apps on the Roku to the ones available under Android. I guess that is why we have choice.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 7

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"DubTaylor" wrote:

[...]less responsive than my ex wife. [...]

Roku is your ex wife. Smiley LOL
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"DubTaylor" wrote:

Not too long ago I finally completed my final switch from Plex to Emby as I found that the Plex devs were just impossible to deal with and less responsive than my ex wife. The friendliness exhibited by the Plex folks would be exceeded by that shown by a hungry rattlesnake and you would get better conversations with the snake.
But having said that I have never seen any movie reviews in Plex,

If you use the 'Preview' (The one they've been working on - will be) or 'Public' app (on June 3) you'll see Movie Reviews (for recentish movies that have reviews out there somewhere in the review vault).

Why I need a 'Review' for a Movie I selected/ripped/acquired and placed on my Plex server myself - is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond me...
(not really... it's a placeholder for Pay-Per-View that is 'coming soon')
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

"DubTaylor" wrote:
Why I need a 'Review' for a Movie I selected/ripped/acquired and placed on my Plex server myself - is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond me...
(not really... it's a placeholder for Pay-Per-View that is 'coming soon')

That kind of thing is yet another reason I dropped Plex for Emby. 
While I understand that monetizing is good for the company it is rarely good for the users.
That is also why I am using the Shield for most of my viewing. While there is a LOT of content that is intended to make money on the Shield most of it can be turned off or hidden and that is good for me.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

ATTENTION ROKU!

How long are you going to continue to approve Plex's App updates that continue to break power saving features? You've been approving a broken Plex App for at least a YEAR! Why?

The Plex Apps WILL NOT go HOME! This breaks power saving features on Roku TVs and prevents ALL other Roku Devices from going Home - AT ALL! No updates, unless triggered manually after manually leaving an app you could stay in for DECADES (so long as the power doesn't go out)!

We can't seem to get Plex interested in fixing the problem. Perhaps if ROKU stops approving a broken Plex App they'll take more of an interest, unless ROKU has stopped that requirement - and I'm sure THOUSANDS OF ROKU CHANNEL DEVELOPERS WILL BE THRILLED TO LEARN THAT!

0 Kudos