Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcmolet
Level 7

Re: New Channels on Roku

"Burkhardi" wrote:
"jeffrok" wrote:
There's a listener supported radio station in my town, and 30% of the time it plays the kind of music I like.. I make donations to this station just because I think the concept of it is important to the community..

I think if DreamTV was donation-based instead of subscription based, they'd be more successful.

I choose to pay $5 a month to RadioParadise.com for the same reason.

I guess that is how I would view an initial $24 subscription to DreamTV -- as a contribution. While I would love to see more, higher quality content, it is probably worth a few bucks to help them stay viable so they can get into a position to create more content. And after all, $24 only equates to me and my wife not going out for lunch twice.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

I agree that I'd pay for something like this, but I don't think it's worth $24 off the bat.. Maybe if they had a "free enrollment period" for awhile (I guess now would be that time, wouldn't it?), and then let people join after 3-6 months of it being up to speed, I'd go for that. I think a donation-based system works because you can set different tier levels.. Like a $25, $50, or $75 donation.. and set it up for annual renewal that way. $75 a year for content you really enjoy is not unreasonable in my opinion.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
jcmolet
Level 7

In checking their site, under the Catalog tab, I see that they currently have 328 videos. It would be interesting to know how the quality of the videos currently available via Roku (50 - 60?) compares with the remainder of their catalog, which presumably will be available to those that buy a subscription in 45 days or so.
0 Kudos
ennui101
Level 7

Re: Smugug Channel on Roku

"kc8pql" wrote:
It may also be worth noting that the SmugMug channel was conceived and  developed not by Roku or SmugMug. It was developed by a Roku owner who uses and likes SmugMug using the public SDK. In other words, it was developed by someone like you and me. If you want a channel and have the programing skills, you can develop a channel and get it on the Roku too, as long as you own the content or can get permission from the owner. I think SmugMug is only the first of many niche channels to come.

The SmugMug channel on Roku has not worked since early June 2018. I fully understand it was not written by Roku, but it sure would be nice if they got into this and that seems reasonable for two reasons: 1) Roku has used the availability of SmugMug on their device in sales campaigns and 2) it is probably a change they made to the API which broke the channel, otherwise why would stable code break?

Roku folk, I don't know how many people have relied on this interface, but to me it is "THE" way we watch our images. Sure I can bring them up on a laptop and project to a TV for my home use, but that system is an imposition when I want to give access to another family so they can view it together. You'd help us out a lot if you could identify the problem and then either fix it or alert the original programmer and ask him to fix it.
Thank you and potentially Chris in advance.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38665
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos