Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Channels on Roku

senorgregster well no other to say this but you're simply wrong.
I never said they were NOT motivated.
I never implied they were NOT motivated.

What i did say was i hope it motivates them towards a major channel.
I don't see encouragement as a negative.
If you want to view my comments as negative you're free to do so.
BUT you're wrong to do so.

As for how roku views my comments and the comments of others that's up to them.
I don't speak for them. And clearly you don't either.

I'm sure others in here hope to see a major channel someday too.
I can't be the only person in here who feels a new major channel would be a positive thing worth encouraging.
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Level 7

"moviegeek65" wrote:
While watching unknown photographers and filmmakers can be entertaining to some, the masses want Hollywood movies and network shows. I want Hulu(or something similar) and I am willing to pay a subscription to watch network shows.

Isn't there room for both?
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Level 7

Maybe there is some confusion here about how new channels get added to the Roku.

Roku released a Software Developer's Kit (SDK) to the world. Anyone can download it (even I have). Which means anyone with some programming skills can develop a channel for the Roku. It also means that anyone with content online can get their content to the Roku. (Roku does have an approval process for public channels).

Most of the 10 new channels were developed outside of Roku (like Revision3, FrameChannel, etc).

DreamTV has content that they want a wider audience for. I don't know how they plan to monetize this yet (ads? some premium content?), but they took the Roku SDK and started building a channel. Other than maybe some behind the scenes approvals and beta testing, Roku was not involved in the development of the DreamTV channel.

This is a good thing. It means that content producers, distributers, owners, etc can now get their content to people's televisions without any real middleman (cable tv, network, etc).

If you don't like the content, fine. I can't say I'm a big fan of anything I've seen on DreamTV yet either. But try not to discount something just because it doesn't have the logo of a major studio or network slapped on it. Remember that major studios often buy independently produced content themselves.

This is the important part... Roku adding DreamTV or SmugMug or whatever to the channel store does not in any way prevent or delay the addition of "major content." And Roku is certainly well aware of people's wants for premium content when anytime Roku posts anything, the response they usually get is, "Where's Hulu?"
0 Kudos
jcmolet
Level 7

"KennyJ" wrote:
Maybe there is some confusion here about how new channels get added to the Roku.

Roku released a Software Developer's Kit (SDK) to the world. Anyone can download it (even I have). Which means anyone with some programming skills can develop a channel for the Roku. It also means that anyone with content online can get their content to the Roku. (Roku does have an approval process for public channels).

Most of the 10 new channels were developed outside of Roku (like Revision3, FrameChannel, etc).

DreamTV has content that they want a wider audience for. I don't know how they plan to monetize this yet (ads? some premium content?), but they took the Roku SDK and started building a channel. Other than maybe some behind the scenes approvals and beta testing, Roku was not involved in the development of the DreamTV channel.

This is a good thing. It means that content producers, distributers, owners, etc can now get their content to people's televisions without any real middleman (cable tv, network, etc).

If you don't like the content, fine. I can't say I'm a big fan of anything I've seen on DreamTV yet either. But try not to discount something just because it doesn't have the logo of a major studio or network slapped on it. Remember that major studios often buy independently produced content themselves.

This is the important part... Roku adding DreamTV or SmugMug or whatever to the channel store does not in any way prevent or delay the addition of "major content." And Roku is certainly well aware of people's wants for premium content when anytime Roku posts anything, the response they usually get is, "Where's Hulu?"

To this I would add, be more proactive in helping get more content to Roku. I have emailed (or posted in their forums) at least 8 different content providers letting them know I would like to see their content on Roku. While any organization that is in the media game has probably heard of Roku, it can only help if they get input from consumers letting them know that we would like to consume their content on the Roku DVP.
0 Kudos
moviegeek65
Level 7

I don't blame Roku about the content, they are only a hardware company, but some of the channels are redundant(MediaTribe=Smug Mug, Picasa=Flickr).
I guess I should be happy with the content we get but I want it all. Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
jcmolet
Level 7

"moviegeek65" wrote:
I don't blame Roku about the content, they are only a hardware company, but some of the channels are redundant(MediaTribe=Smug Mug, Picasa=Flickr).

It is also their software. However, you are correct in noting that they are not content creators.
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Level 7

"moviegeek65" wrote:
I guess I should be happy with the content we get but I want it all. Smiley Wink

It's redundant because they all offer photos? Isn't that like saying that Revision3 and Netflix are redundant?

I guess I don't see the redundancy. Not only do they have different content (not medium), but they are different services. I have a Flickr account with my photos there. I can look at my photos on Flickr's channel -- no one else's. I have a friend who uses SmugMug, and nothing else. I can look at her pictures on the SmugMug channel -- nowhere else.
0 Kudos

"moviegeek65" wrote:

flickr and picasa are two different services? if you have photos on flickr it doesn't help you to view picasa photos (unless I'm missing something).
mediatribe? did you mean mobile tribe? If so that carries a fee and is really for a lot of services. Not sure it even carries smug mug which is free to view.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 8

It may also be worth noting that the SmugMug channel was conceived and developed not by Roku or SmugMug. It was developed by a Roku owner who uses and likes SmugMug using the public SDK. In other words, it was developed by someone like you and me. If you want a channel and have the programing skills, you can develop a channel and get it on the Roku too, as long as you own the content or can get permission from the owner. I think SmugMug is only the first of many niche channels to come.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
hmahesh
Level 7

Thanks for all the feedback.
Our website is www.dreamtvs.com and NOT www.dreamtvs.tv.

Please visit our site - DreamTV - at www.dreamtvs.com.

Thanks
0 Kudos