Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KennyJ
Level 7

Re: New Channels on Roku

"philsoft" wrote:
"trksh22" wrote:
Thanks Kenny. It's the content that I added myself that won't work - even though it's from their site. (The Railroad channel!!) Oh well, hopefully someone else will come up with a channel where personal RSS feeds will work.

personal RSS feeds work with Mediafly. The Roku DVP is not currently capable of decoding many types of video, so unless you get a channel that re-encodes the video on the fly into a compatible format, those videos just aren't going to play.

I would very much like to see the DVP add support for flash video. That would take care of the majority of these issues I believe.

I believe it's a firmware/SDK limitation right now -- not a hardware one. We may see flash support at some point.
0 Kudos

"KennyJ" wrote:

I'm not trying to complain.
I know that roku does read this forum. Maybe if they see a huge interest for a major channel then it might motivate them into getting one.

Maybe someone should create a thread called major channels i would like to see.
Not me i'm not very good at creating threads. And i don't generate the amount of responses that others achieve.
0 Kudos

"Village Idiot" wrote:
"KennyJ" wrote:

I'm not trying to complain.
I know that roku does read this forum. Maybe if they see a huge interest for a major channel then it might motivate them into getting one.

Maybe someone should create a thread called major channels i would like to see.
Not me i'm not very good at creating threads. And i don't generate the amount of responses that others achieve.

I don't think it is fair to say or imply ROKU staff are not motivated. They have turned a $100 Netflix streaming box into something so much more - all for no extra charge mind you. They are already talking hundreds of channels. If the major content providers are motivated then we will see major channels.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 8

"senorgregster" wrote:

If the major content providers are motivated then we will see major channels.

That's correct.What everyone needs to understand is that content providers, major and minor, have to want their programing to be streamed from the internet to your TV. Most of the major ones don't want that and go out of their way to prevent it. It doesn't have anything to do with Roku's motivation.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos

"jotega" wrote:
Two new channels, DREAM TV and SMUG TV on ROKU today. Has anyone seen them. If not on the home channel update your ROKU manually.

Yes I spend a few minutes and actually looked at: DREAM TV

My experience seems to be different than some of the primary posters in this threadl. I added the channel with no problem and it had it up and running without going to a web site or linking any accounts and actually liked the content.

The content is organized into categories: Films, Docs, and several other catagories.

FILMS:
There are these short films by Dastoli Digital, a couple of brothers, that while quirky are actually quite good for low budget film making trying to look 'Big'. It's fun for me to watch low budget, yet quality film making. ( Though the acting is laughably terrible in these films, unless it's intended to be campy. The trade-craft is what interests me about the Dastoli Bros. )

"The name of that tune" is the one i liked best. They did a great job in terms of production values and even story here.

DOCS:
I saw a great Doc about the impact of Israel and Hezbollah's fighting on the average citizens of South Lebanon and Beirut.

I certainly didn't see the content in DREAM TV as being primarily "Arab", which is a totally inaccurate summation of it's content. There were docs about Africa, USA's military and other places in this large world of ours. I hope that DREAM will continue to add short, quality low budget films and docs by filmmakers I'd otherwise never know about. Kudos DREAM TV!

Like with all Roku Channels one has to pick through the content, but if one is interested in the World beyond the US there is some interesting content here, as well as plenty of US orientated content. Not first run, premium but certainly worth taking a look at. All titles have descriptions once clicked into.
Motorola 6121 Modem>Linksys E1000 Router wired to>
Roku Model: Roku 2 XS - 13A17HO52395
Audio/Video: Sony BX420, 40", Stereo, Panasonic GT50, Digital Audio Out
0 Kudos

"senorgregster" wrote:
] If the major content providers are motivated then we will see major channels.

And it's only money and vision that can motivate them. I'm not a major content provider, but I think it's fairly intelligent to speculate that we're seeing digital delivery resistance from them simillar to the major music studios circa 2000.

It was only P2P file sharing and the slumping of CD sales that motivated the iTunes deal that brought about legitimate delivery for the masses.

The film studios are not there yet. Nor, do they seem to have any more vision than the music business.

Look, the status quo sticks to what it knows best, and then has to be dragged kicking and screaming...., no?
Motorola 6121 Modem>Linksys E1000 Router wired to>
Roku Model: Roku 2 XS - 13A17HO52395
Audio/Video: Sony BX420, 40", Stereo, Panasonic GT50, Digital Audio Out
0 Kudos

senorgregster where did i say that Roku was NOT motivated ?
I said it might motivate them towards getting a major channel.
BIG DIFFERENCE.
They do read this board and in the case of the lack of tech support they even stated they will improve that support based on our comments in here.
Please don't twist my words.
I hope they read a real interest more towards getting a major channel then towards getting channels that only appeal to a select few.
As for how they make money i don't know all the facts.
Maybe they collect money from those they add to the channel store ?
Maybe not ?
But i do know they seem interested in adding channels.
So why not encourage them to get a major channel.
My post was meant as a positive idea.
0 Kudos
BoloMKXXVIII
Level 7

Pretty much everyone is right. I am sure Roku is trying to get more premium channels (a little extra pushing can't hurt). The content providers are probably reluctant to p!ss off the current distributors (comcast, dish, TW, directTV, etc) for a mostly untried distribution model. Let there be not doubt they would love to dump the current distributors and sell more directly to the customers. Who ever wants more middle men? What additional benefit to the distributors provide? Make no mistake, the shift to IPTV is coming and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Roku is doing it's best to be on the leading edge. I think if they could swing one major content provider like Discovery, Disney, TNT, Spike, MTV, etc the others would follow once they saw the new model working. I am not talking about old episodes or some of their content. I mean everything they produce available as soon as it is ready to air. I just hope the price is reasonable. They should be able to make at least as much (or more) per viewer than they do now while the overall cost to the customer drops. Amazing what can happen when you cut out the fat-cat middle men!
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.
0 Kudos

"Village Idiot" wrote:
senorgregster where did i say that Roku was NOT motivated ?
I said it might motivate them towards getting a major channel.
BIG DIFFERENCE.
They do read this board and in the case of the lack of tech support they even stated they will improve that support based on our comments in here.
Please don't twist my words.
I hope they read a real interest more towards getting a major channel then towards getting channels that only appeal to a select few.
As for how they make money i don't know all the facts.
Maybe they collect money from those they add to the channel store ?
Maybe not ?
But i do know they seem interested in adding channels.
So why not encourage them to get a major channel.
My post was meant as a positive idea.

Well in that previous post and this one you say "it might motivate them towards getting a major channel" if that doesn't say or imply (I used that word in my post so don't twist my words) they are not motivated I don't know what does. I'm afraid your posts don't sound positive to me. My guess is that the developers of the new channels are reading this thread and they get to hear from you for all their hard work is "not interested in that at all" and "Not interested in that either".
0 Kudos
moviegeek65
Level 7

While watching unknown photographers and filmmakers can be entertaining to some, the masses want Hollywood movies and network shows. I want Hulu(or something similar) and I am willing to pay a subscription to watch network shows.
0 Kudos