Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Channels on Roku

"Village Idiot" wrote:
All i saw was some sort of arab stuff.
No thanks not interested in that at all.
I sure hope ROKU comes up with better then that.

Smugmug is very well done. Good for people who have or know people who have accounts so they can see photos on their TV. Also good for amateur photographers to get ideas on a subject.

DreamTV. Not for everyone (including me) but it's certainly not limited to Arab material - not that there is anything wrong with that.
0 Kudos

"Village Idiot" wrote:

Just to note, Roku doesn't come up with these channels, but rather independent developers do.

Personally, I've already found that I enjoy some of the content on both the DreamTV and SmugMug channels. I understand that it isn't for everyone.

I appreciate the hard work these folks put into creating a channel, using the SDK that Roku has provided, and I hope that this hard work brings many, many, more people, who have access to content, to be willing to follow the leader and share it with the Roku community.

Yup,
Prodigious Juggalo
0 Kudos
jcmolet
Level 7

"senorgregster" wrote:
"Village Idiot" wrote:

Smugmug is very well done. Good for people who have or know people who have accounts so they can see photos on their TV. Also good for amateur photographers to get ideas on a subject.

DreamTV. Not for everyone (including me) but it's certainly not limited to Arab material - not that there is anything wrong with that.

Agreed. In fact, it is probably a good thing to get more varied content.

While I wouldn't call DreamTV premium content, it certainly isn't terrible. I have watched a few of the interviews on Vator.TV - in the Technology section - and they are fairly well produced with some interesting guests. I thought the one with Guy Kawasaki, a well known venture capitalist, was pretty good.

I think everyone is hopeful that Roku is able to land providers such as Showtime, Disney, etc. and I have no doubt they are working toward that end. However, I think it is great that they are mixing the likes of Netflix, MLB and Amazon with stuff like Blip.TV and DreamTV.

Roku's CEO Anthony Wood has stated that they plan to have ~100 channels by year end. There are currently 15 channels in the store, which means they will be adding an average of 7.7 channels a month between now and the end of the year. My guess is that most of those will be more similar to DreamTV than Netflix. However, it is almost certain that channels that most consider "premium" will be sprinkled in the mix. At the end of the day a lot of people will not care for channels like DreamTV; however, a fair number will.
0 Kudos
mega1026
Level 7

haha... arab stuff....

now i can cancel my subscription to ArabStuffTv
0 Kudos

http://www.dreams.tv/english/
seriously all i got when i went there was a screen saying skip inro.
OK i skipped intro and it went 100% arab on me.
If you guys are finding something other then arab on dreamtv post a link.
I'm not knocking an arab channel.
its just not what i was thinking the 100 new channels were going to be.
I was hoping for something like HBO, HULU, Major Network, History Channel, Discovery, SciFi channel, something like that.
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Level 7

"Village Idiot" wrote:
http://www.dreams.tv/english/
seriously all i got when i went there was a screen saying skip inro.
OK i skipped intro and it went 100% arab on me.
If you guys are finding something other then arab on dreamtv post a link.
I'm not knocking an arab channel.
its just not what i was thinking the 100 new channels were going to be.
I was hoping for something like HBO, HULU, Major Network, History Channel, Discovery, SciFi channel, something like that.

Maybe if you went to the correct URL:
http://www.dreamtvs.com/

Or to the Channel on the Roku.
0 Kudos
moviegeek65
Level 7

While I think Smug Mug looks nice it's only free for 14 days, after that it's $39.95-149-95 per year. At those prices I will pass.
www.smugmug.com/
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Level 7

"moviegeek65" wrote:
While I think Smug Mug looks nice it's only free for 14 days, after that it's $39.99-149-99 per year. At those prices I will pass.
www.smugmug,com

I agree... I use Flickr which is free-mium. I have a pro account though that is currently free through my ISP.

Picassa Web albums are like $5 for 5GB (I think). I can't understand why SM charges so much.

However, I have some friends who use SM, so I can actually follow their pictures through my Roku if I want.
0 Kudos

"moviegeek65" wrote:
While I think Smug Mug looks nice it's only free for 14 days, after that it's $39.95-149-95 per year. At those prices I will pass.
www.smugmug.com/

As Kenny points out no need to have a Smugmug account to use the channel.
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Level 7

"senorgregster" wrote:
"moviegeek65" wrote:
www.smugmug.com/

As Kenny points out no need to have a Smugmug account to use the channel.

Yep.. if you just like looking at photos, this is a nice channel. A lot of pros/semi-pros/good amateurs use SmugMug and the channel is setup really well to just look at nice photos.
0 Kudos