Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 15

Re: Network Error Occurring Only in YouTube

I've had that happen a few times on my Roku4. Typically just the first time I start playing a video, it will give an error that YouTube is not available. I exit out, restart the channel, and it works fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Here's what I do to cause the "Network Error" every time on my ROKU 4660X using the YT app

1. Go to subscriptions
  2. Scroll fast to the bottom
  3. Scroll fast back up to the top
  4. Wait 25-30 seconds

I have about 20 subscriptions but users with only a few have recreated the issue.

If this creates the error for you, please report to YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/tv/feedback

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have a TCL32S321 32" TV and it doesn't matter when I'm scrolling or what's loading. it's all random. I'm careful not to scroll to fast, but the issue isn't just in subs. I can go into a random video and it still crashes again. no idea how to check for an update. I've been through every setting etc. I use YT more than anything else and would love for it to actually work like it should be.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@whatsosticky Your experience would indicate the built in ROKU of the TCL has the same error as the standalone units. 

As for updating the TCL, perhaps this will help: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions-faqs/how-to-update-the-software-on-your-tcl-roku-tv

Good luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@NDinVA I will definitely work through my TV. I don't understand how to correct the Roku part of it, though. I'm kind of confused when I read the replies. they just seemed like complaints with failure. thank you for the info!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@whatsostickyIt is an ongoing problem that either Roku, YT, or both has not yet fixed. It is frustrating. I would bet if you update to the latest version of your firmware / software you'll still see this issue.

Thanks to the efforts of a few users, there is a way of reproducing the issue nearly on-demand.  This effort may seem silly but is potentially really valuable to the developers if they want to fix it.  Otherwise it can take a long time to show up which makes it really hard to debug.  Several users (myself included) have submitted this info to YT but as yet I believe everyone still has the issue.  Hopefully they'll eventually fix it.

So far the only reliable way I've seen to get around this-- to not keep hitting the Network Error-- is to feed videos to the Roku using a YouTube app on another device (ie, smartphone, tablet).  While doing this one also uses the "Guest" account on the Roku (don't log in to a Google acct in YouTube on the Roku itself... though it seems to work fine to do so on the smartphone or tablet).  I have never hit another Network Error while doing this.

We all still hope Roku / YouTube do get around to fixing it eventually!

Highlighted
Level 9

None of that is even relevant it’s the app on ALL Roku devices I have a 55p605 a 50s425 a Roku premier HD box and a Roku Premier stock they all do and have for a long time it’s the app it’s some kind of resource error and they won’t fix it. No other non Roku device do it ! Xbox PlayStation Nintendo switch amazon fire tv which I have several. None do it just all the Roku s 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@siphonthis is great information! I really appreciate it!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

@whatsosticky  Sure thing, I hope it works for you too.  I had a more detailed description of the workaround the community seems to have hit upon, on one of the other threads that covers this issue. (I was a little surprised how hard this was to find again!)

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/YouTube-Network-Error/m-p/553076#M33437

0 Kudos